Dahlia seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dahlia seed

Hi Nick, as you seem to be the dahlia expert i was wondering if dahlia's can be propogated from seed (i know they can be propogated from cuttings) and if not is there a reason.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Do you mean te big jobs or the Bedding dahlia's: Either way the answer is yes, mind you you'll get a right old mix as it depends on how the parents were bred.

A lot of the big ones will come out single (bit like Bishop of Llandaff) I'f you've got Collerette Dahlia's they are a promiscuous as a rabbit on heat & will pop up all over the place If you get a real world beater give it to me & I'll take the credit on your behalf
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Showing my ignorance, but what is a collerette dahlia Nick?

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Forgot to answer your question. I have bedding, large cactus, pompom and one or two others i don't have a name for.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi Bramble,

Collerettes are on on the website (under photo's, Dahlia's strangely enough ). The poms you've got are they true poms (ie less than 2" diameter) or are they "dutch poms" which are basically an small ball shaped dahlia? just for my interest no real reason.

Any way if you want to save your own seed, try going to the links page on thewebsite & then Dave Bates site. I'm sure he has a bit about saving seed on there, if not pm me your e-mail address & I'll send you the info.
          Last edited by nick the grief; 12-09-2006, 11:40 AM.
          ntg

Comment

nick do u recomend buying dahlias in 'tuber' form or seeds or cuttings?

Comment

Nick, thanks for that. Looked at Dave Bates site and its a mine of information. He makes sure you know what you're getting into but i am still going to give it a try.
              As regards the type of dahlias i have, i now know i have collerette , fancy dahlias cactus and dutch pompoms and one true pompom.
              If you have any hints or tips to get me started i would be greatful. I will PM my name and address.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WiZeR View Post
                nick do u recomend buying dahlias in 'tuber' form or seeds or cuttings?
                Hi Wizer,

It depends what you want. If you look in the garden centres the plastig bag dahlia's will soon be arriving & you can keep them till Jan/Feb time & then set them in a tray of moist compost apply bottom heat & then take cuttings (If you search I' sure I rambled on about this before - may have been Chrysanths but the principal is the same) These are fine if you just want garden decoration/cut flowers.

If you want some that you can grow to enter the local show, then you really need show varieties to give yourself a chance. htese can be either bought as cuttings or what are called Pot tuber. They are the equivalent of seed spuds I guess. The a cuttings that are grown in 5" pots so it restricts the growth & is more manageable (pluss cheaper to post for the suppliers) These are treateed the same but you won't get too many cuttings of them as they aren' big.

I have bought cuttings in the passed as it's the only way that I could get specific varieties but I usually buy tubers from either suppliers or from outr local Chrysanth & Dahlia societies stool & tuber sale in November.

It may pay you to have a lok to see where the nearest club is to you & speak to the secretary & ask if they have a sale & go along as it will boost their funds. If you go and see them & see a particular one that you like ask him if he will sell you some cuttings next year, most sill do it for enough to cover their costs or may even give them to you if they think they've got a new convert.

If you want a list of suppliers PM me & I'll tell you someof the ones I've used in the past then there can be no conflicts of interest with GYO
                ntg

Comment

thanks very much nick. I don't really want to grow anything for show, not yet anyway. Would be nice to have something at the top of the allotment that looks nice and something to bring home to the Mrs for brownie points.

I'll have a search on that cuttings thing you mentioned. I assume when you say 'cuttings' you mean that you can get a few plants from one tuber?

Comment

Yep thats it Wizer. If you think of the tuber like a seed tattie (cos thats all it is basically) the cuttings are the equivalent of the eyes that form. But you only get them for around the base of the old stem NOT on the individual tuber legs

Have a look here

http://www.jrg-dahlias.co.uk/new_page_3.htm
                    ntg

Comment

How hardy are dahlias Nick we're in Wiltshire with well draining soil? Got a Bishop and then a yellow one and a pink one (which just came in a bag of 5 tubers) - they're more 'daisy-like' not big & blousey' (I reckon they'd be your fave's though? ).
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

If I say they originate from places like Mexico does that give you a clue That said, my sister had one in here border for years & it was OK. It's usually a combination of wet & cold that does for them.

I would still be tempted to lift them & dry them off os of slugs, then you can always split them in to 3 or 4, dust with flowers of sulphur & re plant next spring if you want or take cuttings.
                        ntg

Comment

What is 'flowers of sulphur', and do you lean towards 'big blousey' ones?

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                            What is 'flowers of sulphur',

It's yellow or green sulphur used as a fungicide & helps to heal the wounds

Click image for larger version

Name:	sulphur.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2318023

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                            ...and do you lean towards 'big blousey' ones?
                            What can I say. Providing Mrs grief doesn't spot me ... yes
                            ntg

Comment

LOL! you'll have to hope Mrs NTG doesn't find out your login!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X