newbie allotment plot help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spuds and compost advice needed

I have just found a bag of spuds all growing in my cupborad all have shoots comming up? can I plant them as soon as the snow goes?
    shame to waste em.

Also another question I have blagged a free composter bin so been saving kitchen waste how do I get it up and running?

I spotted some composter addative that speeds it up in Morrisons but thought you lot could give me more natural ways?

The budget is very low for my lottie at the mo?

I can always plant stuff in containers if they need to be in now can't I?

so come on peeps need advice on spuds found growing in cupboard don't tell the wife and compost start and how to make it work well?

Thanks Peeps
    After all the digging needed to keep the weeds down yes that will be me one day.
    Just started on the plot or was that loosing the plot.

Keen to learn.

Comment

good luck with the plot.I got mine in october and have spent each weekend doing a bit of digging to turn it over and to try and remove as much couch grass and dock as possible.it's taken a long time but slowly you can see the progress.i'm now at the stage where i've dug over half of it and given some basic bed structure to the plot.i'm now going through the excitement of planning what to grow and the fact that the country is snowed under certainly gave my time to do this task!i initially thought about raised beds but although they look good,my on previous garden experience has been they provide a nice hiding place for slugs too!

as well as the sound advice already given by others,i would also suggest you take a slow walk round the allotment and talk to some of your neighbours,especially those who have got their plots sorted.ask them what grows well or doesn't.i took on my plot with the intentions of getting lots of stuff in the ground by early spring and soon found out by talking to neighbours about the site being prone to late frosts and cold winds,so they all advised starting things off at home,not planting on site too early and if you do you must use cloches etc to warm the soil and protect against frosts.i also quickly found out about the part of the site that doesn't drain too well.

although you'll always find people who give you different views,i've found so far that most people are friendly and willing to offer advice.

good luck
      Spiderpig

Comment

Originally posted by weed reaper View Post
        I have just found a bag of spuds all growing in my cupborad all have shoots comming up? can I plant them as soon as the snow goes?
        Go and look at the Chitting Potatoes threads - use your Search button
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I spotted some composter addative that speeds it up in Morrisons but thought you lot could give me more natural ways?
          Wee
          Comfrey
          Nettles

are all excellent free activators, as is turning your heap to get air in.

Comment

Thanks Do I get them [garlic] to shoot before planting
            No.
            Just as Eyren said - plant straight away in the ground

Comment

This can't be recommended highly enough ... it's less than 3 quid Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: The Pocket Vegetable Expert (Pocket Expert)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X