When ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When ?

When does everyone order their seeds ? Am I panicking thinking I've got to get my order in straight away?

would reckon the sooner the better, thanks to my OH have more than enough seeds to see me through! what does everyone else think? dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I work out what I want over the Christmas holidays and then place the orders after Christmas.
      [

Comment

We took advantage of the sale at Wyevale a couple of weeks ago, and now have enough to fill the allotment, probably twice over, assuming they all germinate!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thanks everyone - I've got the seeds you sent me Dexter (thanks once again) and I'll order some more - the problem is I want to grow everything I see in the catalogues - flowers and all but won't have room

Comment

I am still building my list, but if and when seeds become available at the right price I buy them...got a few up til now but prefer to get seeds from multiple sources ie Garden centres,High street stores, ebay but very rarely direct from the big seed catalogues.
            Got a lot from Netto's at 19p a packet last year and had no problems with them. Trouble is they don't get them in til late Spring
            Like to buy some interesting veg from abroad on ebay!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I usually buy mine in January, when the days are dark and miserable. I have plenty of time them as nothing to do in the garden and gives me spring to look forward to.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Can you all not buy them through the allotment assocation?
                This happens on the site my lotty is. and the more people that order and the bigger the order, the bigger reduction everyone gets. It was 10% last year i am told.
                This wil be my first year of doing this as i have only had the polt since june this year.
                i agree with the folk that say want to plant everything flowers and all - but of course some flowers are to use for companion planting.
                Sun flowers are great so i will be planting them, but thinking of making them work for thier keep by supporting my runner beans, worth a try.
                Last edited by denise; 18-09-2006, 09:58 PM.
                Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                -- Alfred E. Neumann
                http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Lidl did a good selection real cheep this year. Hopefully they will do so again next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                    Can you all not buy them through the allotment assocation?
                    This happens on the site my lotty is. and the more people that order and the bigger the order, the bigger reduction everyone gets. It was 10% last year i am told.
                    This wil be my first year of doing this as i have only had the polt since june this year.
                    i agree with the folk that say want to plant everything flowers and all - but of course some flowers are to use for companion planting.
                    Sun flowers are great so i will be planting them, but thinking of making them work for thier keep by supporting my runner beans, worth a try.
                    By Allotment Association I take it you are referring to your local asociation shop?
                    We aint got one of those, but if we had one I would certainly buy from it.
                    Do you think I would be allowed to buy seeds from another allotment association shop?
                    Is there a national allotment association that sell seeds I wonder?
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      By Allotment Association I take it you are referring to your local asociation shop?
                      We aint got one of those, but if we had one I would certainly buy from it.
                      Do you think I would be allowed to buy seeds from another allotment association shop?
                      Is there a national allotment association that sell seeds I wonder?
                      Hi Snadger. I think you can buy through the National Association (Allotments and Gardens Council (UK)) looking at the ad in the GYO mag. Their number is 0115 9276860.

Incidentally I have already bought some seed for next year but am planning my potato purchase as we speak. I will be trying to save some seed from this year plantings of various things (notably parsnips, giant red mustard, some herbs. I'll review after planting overwintering beans, peas and garlic. Depends on what you want really. Sometimes it is good to order early if you think what you want is likely to be popular. I tend to use Lidl seed to top up or sometimes to try different things. They stock Kohlrabi, celeriac, salsify. You have to be quick though because the packets go quickly.

Happy shopping
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I can't see why not Snadger. I'll be growing in my garden but I've just found out a chap where I work with has an allotment. He says he'll sign me up for £6 and I can order my seeds through them. They get theirs from T&M at 50% discount

Comment

Have a word with your secratary Snadger we had our seed lists thru with the last NSALG newsletter. They may have a list thet you can borrow, failing that find out if the site is affiliated & if it is e-mail the NSALG & ask if you can order some on your own as a member f an affiliated society. If that fails youcan always join on your own
                          ntg
                          Never be afraid to try something new.
                          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                          ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X