No announcement yet.

Absolute novice in need of help to get started

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to agree with the salt thing for the slugs, or frogs maybe, provide a home for them, I've got loads in my garden and last year very little was eaten, good luck

Comment

I've got hedgehogs as well, so they help

Comment

I'm trying slug wool this year. Anyone else tried it yet? Don't be disheartened Girly, last year was not a great year for some crops but a brilliant year for slugs with all that rain. But that was last year and this is a new year, so don't give up and follow all the good advice given and you'll have some nice crops!
        AKA Angie

Comment

Hi Rebecca, dont give up! I started late on last year and had some success with runner beans in grow bags. My mum had a few plants left in pots so they had chance to get going. I also put some french climbing beans in as seeds, some of which did ok but half got slugged as soon as they came up. Just pick the beans regularly to keep them coming.

I found the organic slug pellets worked well by the way.

Oh and thanks for those points Two Sheds, handy stuff
          Last edited by JamesA; 17-02-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Good luck with everything.
            Let us know how you get on.

I'm a total novice too, about to try and start up proper for 2009.

Perhaps we can swap tips as we go along!
            Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
            Independent Minds

Comment

Don't give up - the last two summers would be enough to put off most new gardeners, methinks.

Keep an eye on this forum and yes, you will have to harden your heart and deal with the slugs! I put cut off plastic bottles on my lettuce to help them get a bit bigger before they are attacked - it seems to help.

Tomatoes - why not try some of the varieties that people on here have had success with? (use the search to find the discussions). Some of the varieties which get a lot of publicity are not necessarily easy ones to grow!
              Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
                Eyren you can get big bags of bran from pet shops or horse feed suppliers.
                Thanks, Oldie, I'll try and remember to look in the country store next time I'm buying chicken food. Either that or I'll buy a shotgun for the blighters!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X