Drainage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drainage

We've discovered my soil (if you can call it that!) is even worse than we thought. We've only got about 4" of soil under the turf and the rest is horrible clay. We're going to get some good topsoil to mix with turfs (once they've broken down) and add some sand to help with drainage. Can we use sharp sand or do we need to get special horticultural sand ?

Am sure I've read somewhere that adding some worms will help no end but not something I've tried myself.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by martini View Post
      We've discovered my soil (if you can call it that!) is even worse than we thought. We've only got about 4" of soil under the turf and the rest is horrible clay. We're going to get some good topsoil to mix with turfs (once they've broken down) and add some sand to help with drainage. Can we use sharp sand or do we need to get special horticultural sand ?
      What you need is sand which has an equal grain size. This will enable air gaps between the grains to allow water to percolate. If you have different grain sizes they fit together like a jigsaw puzzle and will actually make the soil hold water. Sports turf topdressing sand is very expensive because it is triple screened but a usable substitute is builders sand thats used for concreting.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for that Snadger - going to Wickes tomorrow so will get some. I'm glad I can use builders sand cos horticultural sand isn't cheap.

Comment

My new veg patch was originally turfed and was solid clay - I couldn't get a trowel into it to plant bulbs at one point!! - I hired a rotovator, churned up the patch I wanted - 12' x 15' (in the pouring rain) then rotovated in approx 8 bags sharp sand and another 8 of the 'too big to lift' size compost - and I just dug it over and over and over -- you get the picture! Pulling out all the weeds/grass etc as I went

I am now the very proud owner of a veg patch that rakes nicely - dig's easily and gives slightly when you walk on it!!

Sharp sand and compost are definitely the way to go!
          How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Thanks Sunbeam - it's good to know it can work After breaking our backs to get some of the turf off we've hired a stripper (coming Monday). We're not going to rotovate but the OH is going to double dig the raised bed bits, take out the worst of the clay and then we'll put some topsoil, compost and sand in. I must admit it was really offputting the other day when it was pouring down as the lawn had puddles in it I'm glad to know yours has worked well and I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Ideally you could do with double digging it & putting som muck in to it to help break it all up. Clay soil is a pain but it does tend to hold the nutrients better.
              Last edited by nick the grief; 07-10-2006, 04:55 PM.
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

We (I mean the OH) is going to double dig the bits where the raised beds will be, take out as much of the really bad clay as possible and then put in some of the turves we've taken off (they're not too bad soil-wise). I'm also getting a load of farmyard (mainly pig) poo coming from work.

Comment

[QUOTE=martini;34447]Thanks Sunbeam - it's good to know it can work After breaking our backs to get some of the turf off we've hired a stripper (coming Monday).

What I'd like to know is why Nic hasn't commented on this???Lol
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Martini
                    How is hiring a stripper on Monday gonna help you remove the tur........oh I see what you mean now - sorry, my mind does that sometimes
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cos the rat beat him to it , thats why!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I wondered why Nick missed that too - must be tired after his day on the plot

Comment

I just had a frightening vision - the OH in his birthday suit on the lawn with the turf stripper

Comment

I seem to have some sort of reputation here don't I I was trying to be serious for once but what the hell
                            Last edited by nick the grief; 07-10-2006, 09:05 PM.
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Yes Nick you do indeed have a reputation on here and after the dick affair it left my reputation in tatters!
                              [

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X