Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Hello
    I'm reading lots and lots of good advice and I know I should just get on with it and see what happens but I don't want to make any expensive or time wasting mistakes so I have lots of questions!!!

I am completely new to growing veg. This summer we grew sweet corn and even though I didn't feed it properly (only at the end) we were still very pleased with ourselves. The brocoli was eaten by caterpillars before we got to it but we've had lots of chillies, tomates and amazingly some aubergines are growing in my little temporary zip up greenhouse.

I have now invested in a proper 6x6 greenhouse. Its not up yet but will be soon.
    1. I'm planning to buy fleece or bubble wrap to keep things nice and warm over winter - which is the best?
    2. I also need a heater what would you advise? I have no power to the greenhouse.
    3. What sort of things would do well in a greenhouse over winter? We'd like to grow peppers, tomatoes, chillies and aubergines can I grow these over winter?

We are also going to use our front garden to grow veg. It's approximately 5m x 6m and I'm going to invest in some raised beds (no more than 6inches in height). I've read that I should turn the soil over and leave it over winter so that it is prepared for the Spring. The idea being that the frost breaks down disease etc. Is that right?? Or can I just dig it over now, set my beds up and get started? We'd like to grow some potatoes, onions, peas, beans, sprouts is this possible now? If yes what kind of protection would then need?

The other things I'm confused about are: -
    1. The raised beds. I will need to add soil to build height so do I have to buy a topsoil or compost or both and mix them up.
    2. When I have sorted out the soil/compost in the beds and have planted my veg do I have to keep adding compost or some sort of feed in the water?
    3. Do I need to test for soil type?

I think I'll leave it here for now but I still have lots of questions that I hope you can help me with. Also If you have another good advise I would be happy to hear about it.

Thank you
    Agni

Hi Agni and welcome to the Vine. I can't help with the greenhouse questions but will make a start on the others. I don't have any raised beds more dropped paths! You may need some soil to build some height but once dug over you could add some manure depending on what you want to grow where, cover and leave for the worms to do their thing.

There are a couple of threads already about what to plant overwinter. If you can get hold of some plants you could try some sprouts/cabbage/kale. For early crops next year plant broad beans, garlic and onions and peas.

You've still got time to get some overwintering spinach in.

Re testing for soil type, do you mean pH. Depends where you live. If it is very acid you will need a lot of lime for brassicas to be happy. Most veg like a slightly acid to neutral soil and if you have acid soil you may want to think about growing some blueberries and cranberries too.

Hope that helps to start with.

Also get hold of a good gardening book. Dr D G Hessayon The Vegetable Expert seems to be bible of choice. See what your local library has too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Agni View Post
      .........I have now invested in a proper 6x6 greenhouse. Its not up yet but will be soon.
      1. I'm planning to buy fleece or bubble wrap to keep things nice and warm over winter - which is the best?
      2. I also need a heater what would you advise? I have no power to the greenhouse.
      3. What sort of things would do well in a greenhouse over winter? We'd like to grow peppers, tomatoes, chillies and aubergines can I grow these over winter?

We are also going to use our front garden to grow veg. It's approximately 5m x 6m and I'm going to invest in some raised beds (no more than 6inches in height). I've read that I should turn the soil over and leave it over winter so that it is prepared for the Spring. The idea being that the frost breaks down disease etc. Is that right?? Or can I just dig it over now, set my beds up and get started? We'd like to grow some potatoes, onions, peas, beans, sprouts is this possible now? If yes what kind of protection would then need?

The other things I'm confused about are: -
      1. The raised beds. I will need to add soil to build height so do I have to buy a topsoil or compost or both and mix them up.
      2. When I have sorted out the soil/compost in the beds and have planted my veg do I have to keep adding compost or some sort of feed in the water?
      3. Do I need to test for soil type?

Hi Agni, welcome to the vine.

Right the Greenhouse questions first.
      1. Just to be pedantic I'd ge them both DOn't get the cheap buble wrap thats for packaging - it's a waste of money. If you look on NA Kays website they sell the large bubble insulation, this is better at insulating than the small stuff & doesn't cut out so much light. You can use the fleece to drape over things if it's forecast real cold but you can also clip it to the outside in the summer (bulldog clips are good) & it will give you shade & help reduce the temerature as it traps the hot air outside the greenhouse.
      2. Heating - you've got two choices really, Parafin or bottle gas. The former is cheap to buy but is not the cheapest to run plus yuo really need to go up to it every day to trm the wicks etc. Bottle gas is dearer to buy (heaters are about 3x the cost of a parafin one) but it has the advantage of having a thermostat so will last longer. You have to have some ventilatin with both of these but in my experience ther is usually plenty of gaps for air to get in with most greenhouses !
      3. To grow toms & the likes over winter you will need lights as well as heating to make it worth while so I don't think it would be worth it . You can however start things off earlier & get it over a longer period with minimal costs. you can grow potatoes for xmas & early carrots & winter lettuce as you are going to have it frost free so there are thing you can have.

your raised beds next.

1 & 2) If you dig the beds over it will raise the soil level if you add some muck to it it will raise it a bit more. With all the stuff you are going to grow you'll be able to make your own compost & you can add this to the soil as a mulch - this will raise it a bit more over the years, so I would go with what you've got for now otherwise you 'll be trying to get rid of the excess in a year or so.

As to feeds, you can buy soluble feeds (miracle grow etc) or you can use something like pelleted chicken poo & that will do the job for you or you can put some muck into a sack & put this into a water butt, tis will make a liquid feed that should look like weak tea when you apply it to the garden. You can also get pelleted comfrey now to make your own comfrey feed if you want.

As to soil tests, strictly speaking you should have this done they will tell you what is deficient in your soil etc, but unless you are entering competitions it isn't worth it. Have a look on our lotties wbsite on the starters page & there is a little chart there that will show you how to identify your soil type cheaply (for nothing in fact)

Hope this helps & if you think of anything else, ask away.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X