Cloche confusion

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloche confusion

today i went down to my plot and planted some peas but i seem to be a bit confused and wonder if anyone can help me. The packet says they need cloches but is this for warmth or protection? My xmas spuds also say they need fleece put over them- is this the same stuff i use for peas or is it different? Also whem i put fleece on said spuds how much room do they need or do I just lay it over and anchor it down? I'm sorry if this sounds really stupid but i'm trying -really!
    Raine

I can't answer your question Raine, but also would like to hear what the others answer. No question is stupid, only the one you don't ask!

Comment

Thanks for the support squirrel - that's why I like this forum- you feel you can ask all those questions you are too shy to ask!
      Raine

Comment

Originally posted by raine View Post
        today i went down to my plot and planted some peas but i seem to be a bit confused and wonder if anyone can help me. The packet says they need cloches but is this for warmth or protection? My xmas spuds also say they need fleece put over them- is this the same stuff i use for peas or is it different? Also whem i put fleece on said spuds how much room do they need or do I just lay it over and anchor it down? I'm sorry if this sounds really stupid but i'm trying -really!
        Raine
        The easy answer is yes Warmth & protection. The Cloche acts like a mini greenhouse & traps the heat in warming the soil & keeping the rain off - not wet & cold so it helps protect from the frosts as well.

You can use fleece for your cloche's but as it's getting towards winter I would go for plastic as it will let in more light (there's not that much this time of year so you can't afford to loose any)

The potatoes will be OK under fleece as they won't be growing as such & you just want the frost protection. If you can try and get the heavyweight fleece or just double it up if it's the thin stuff.

And finally, there is no such a thing as a daft question if you don't ask you won't learn, after all I taught squzzers all she knows & she's now an expert on another forum
        Last edited by nick the grief; 08-10-2006, 05:21 PM.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X