String mesh on a wall?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String mesh on a wall?

Always looking for ways to save the pennies and was wondering if a mesh made out of twine would be ok to use with Clematis & Morning Glory? Maybe even some strong 10-20lb fishing line?
    Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Hi Herby, why don't you buy the bean and pea netting in Lidl or Aldi. Its very reasonably priced and am sure it will do the trick for you.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Oh fantastic. Aldi has hardly any garden stuff in or one now, I will check out Lidl and if that fails I have seen 2x 2m x 10m roles for about 4 quid, that's great.

Comment

I got my clematis netting (it's strong, not that floppy pea & bean netting) from Wilkinsons - £8 for 10m x 1m or thereabouts.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I did last year (mostly twine, some garden wire) with a couple of canes for support to grow morning glory against a shed. It worked OK, but wasn't as pretty as the average trellis till the plants grew up it.
          Today's mistake is tomorrow's compost...

Comment

Homebase do netting

Homebase - Make a House a Home

Comment

Don't forget that breaking strain is not the same as abrasion resistance or resistance to UV and weather conditions. Personally I think you can't do better than rylock fence netting, (chain link netting like found around sports fields) but try finding the stuff legally !
              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I should add when I did this it was for morning glory. I guess clematis is heavier and might need stronger support?
                Last edited by Sheepish; 07-04-2009, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I have changed my mind about clematis, I will be just sticking to MG, Sheepish, how did yours work out.

Comment

The only disadvantage was that the twine looked a bit scruffy till the plants climbed up it. A trellis would have been a bit prettier. The shed wall is about 8 feet long and I ran the twine from each side but needed a couple of canes in the centre for support.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X