Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you have a look at my veggie bed please?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norm View Post
    Just a tad confused with the photo. The date shows either July 4 or April 7, 2006. Also, you mention seedlings; carrots and parsnips. How big is this bed?
    No need to be confused. I just haven't set the date on my camera! It was taken this morning!

Seedlings are Squash, Corn, Cucumber and Tomaotoes and green beans later.

Carrots are seeds that I had hoped to plant straight in and parsnips I would like to germinate on kitchen roll and the I was going to plant those straight in too.

How big is the bed? 100cm x 120 cm - there or thereabouts. I have three of them so far, with the option of more.

Does that clear things up?

Comment

Originally posted by Looby-Blu View Post

How big is the bed? 100cm x 120 cm - there or thereabouts. I have three of them so far, with the option of more.

Does that clear things up?
      The raised beds are great. The squash and cucumber can be planted in a pocket of compost approximately one foot square in the middle. This will allow them to establish well and the surrounding clay loam will help hold moisture.
      The corn and beans would probably be ok planted into the clay compost mix as plantlets . The carrots and parsnips could be grown by sticking a spade full depth into the soil and levering back and forth to form a groove 3 inches wide at the top and tapering to nothing at a spades depth. Fill this groove with potting compost mixed with sand (any sand will do for this) and sow your parsnips and carrots direct into it.

Hows that.....wallah!
      Last edited by Snadger; 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Nice Idea for the carrots and parsnips there Snagder! Will have to remember that 1
        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
          Nice Idea for the carrots and parsnips there Snagder! Will have to remember that 1
          I like that idea too, thanks Snadger
          AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            The raised beds are great. The squash and cucumber can be planted in a pocket of compost approximately one foot square in the middle. This will allow them to establish well and the surrounding clay loam will help hold moisture.
            The corn and beans would probably be ok planted into the clay compost mix as plantlets . The carrots and parsnips could be grown by sticking a spade full depth into the soil and levering back and forth to form a groove 3 inches wide at the top and tapering to nothing at a spades depth. Fill this groove with potting compost mixed with sand (any sand will do for this) and sow your parsnips and carrots direct into it.

Hows that.....wallah!
            You are an ANGEL!! Thankyou SO much - just printing this off

Comment

Snadgers' idea with carrots and parsnips works a treat! We garden on clay soil and using this method we've had brilliant parsnips and pretty good carrots for the last four years. I also like to grow carrots in buckets of multi purpose compost....it seems to defy the carrot root fly as well as produce lovely straight, tasty carrots! Cheers.
              I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Comment

Any better now??
                Attached Files

Comment

No? I'll get my coat.............

Comment

Put your coat back on it's peg! The soil does look a tad better, but, hey, what does it matter when Snadge has already explained how to get round your soil probs? The main thing is to have a go, and if things aren't that brill this year, bung on tons of muck in the autumn, and I guarentee, next year you'll be offering reassurance to other Newbies who'll have exactly the same soil as you do now!
                    Go on, get your trowel wiggling!
                    Last edited by Creemteez; 16-04-2009, 07:25 PM.
                    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                      Put your coat back on it's peg! The soil does look a tad better, but, hey, what does it matter when Snadge has already explained how to get round your soil probs? The main thing is to have a go, and if things aren't that brill this year, bung on tons of muck in the autumn, and I guarentee, next year you'll be offering reassurance to other Newbies who'll have exactly the same soil as you do now!
                      Go on, get your trowel wiggling!

Thanks - thats true. I've got my bag of potting compost all ready, so i'm definately going with Snadge's idea.

I'm going to ask a REEEEEAAAAAALLLLY stupid question now.... Carrots.... does 1 seed make 1 carrot, or a bunch of carrots?? (*hides face in utter shame)

Comment

1 carrot seed = one carrot, would be great if they were like beetroots, but unfortunately not!
                        http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X