Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth spending a little extra on Miracle Gro compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year I used Premier multi-purpose compost 3 packs/70 litres each for £10.
    This year I'm using Mother-Earth()multi-purpose 3 packs/70 litres each for £9.
    I used to use Miracle Gro.It wasn't bad but nothing special.You know the price.
    If you think it's better and your plants will benefit,go for it.

Comment

I seem to be having compost problems too, See seedling problems under new posts. Any suggestions would be welcome

Comment

Originally posted by butter fingers View Post
        might be called sungold.
        I think it's called Forest Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by rodofgod76 View Post
          I think it's called Forest Gold.
          Yeah it is

Search Results at Wilkinson Plus

Its compressed, so when you add water it expands to 50ltr. My mum got some last year

Comment

Originally posted by IgglePiggle View Post
            Yeah it is

Search Results at Wilkinson Plus

Its compressed, so when you add water it expands to 50ltr. My mum got some last year

have i made a bit of a booboo, i didnt know i had to water this stuff. i did not see any instructions saying i should.i just covered it over to stop the cats using it untill im ready to plant it up.
            a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Originally posted by butter fingers View Post
              have i made a bit of a booboo, i didnt know i had to water this stuff. i did not see any instructions saying i should.i just covered it over to stop the cats using it untill im ready to plant it up.
              Maybe you don't lol Just think I remember my mum saying it... will ring her

Comment

My mistake You just use it like compost she said

My bad

Comment

Just been outside to see what I've got. Miracle-grow Eco-sense peat free. 'Twas quite dear but whey - makes me feel smug so what the heck!
                  I've actually found it quite good, not too twiggy or coarse. I've had some peat-frees that have been really rough. Sadly I can't remember which they were. The perils of longevity!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by IgglePiggle View Post
                    My mistake You just use it like compost she said

My bad
                    thanks for the info
                    i will put the cover back on the raised bed, it didnt rain like it was supposed to do anyway.
                    a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Very disappointed!

Hello,

I have been a great advocate of Miracle Gro for all purposes in the garden for years but for some reason they seem to have changed the formula this year and it just isn't as good as it used to be. It used to be composed of composted wood fibre, I think, but they now seem to have added some very coarse, stringy stuff to the compost, possibly coconut fibre (?) and it doesn't hold water like it did before and forms a hard crust over the top which is very difficult to rehydrate if it dries out. It has also got very pricey over the past few years with B&Q charging about £1 extra every year!

If the makers carry on with the new formulation next year I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere although it breaks my heart to do so as I have had so much success with Miracle Gro in the past. Why change a formula that works, I have to ask?

Comment

They're always changing formulas to be more environmentally friendly or to save money probably,I haven't tried miracle grow compost,I just use the cheapest compost I can find & add whatever feed to it like the miracle grow feed for high nitrogen needs,blood fish & bone,seaweed or vitax tomato feed,the compost can be rubbish at retaining moisture,I have to water my pots everyday!
                        Last edited by Jungle Jane; 01-08-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X