No announcement yet.

How to sow carrot seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push spade into full depth.........wiggle backwards and forwards until a vee is opened up. BEFORE taking spade out fill with compost........put foot on compost while removing spade............ move along row ad infinitum! (Just a thought!)
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Clever clogs

Comment

I've just bought some tubs to grow some carrots in and after managing to cause some cracks in the bottom despite carefully using a drill to make some drainage holes was wondering what soil I should put in the tubs?

The topsoil in my garden isn't very clayey and is fairly crumbly but does tend to go quite hard after watering.

Could I just fill the tubs with multi purpose compost or would it be better to mix some mpc with the topsoil and maybe a little bit of sand for drainage?

Also do I need to add anything else like fish blood and bone or well rotted manure?
        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

No manure, it will make your carrots fork, instead you want some nice light well drained soil or compost, it hardly matters which. No stones if possible, and I would avoid soil that tends to go hard after watering - on the surface it will cause "capping" where the seedlings can't get through the skin on the top, and although it might not be plastic as some clays are it is certainly very low in humus and the particles are too inclined to stick together, so it is probably pretty close to clay.
          And yes, even after years of practice, I always seem to crack the bottom of those florists buckets from Morrisons, even using a drill; I think the only cure is a hot poker ! (Using one on the bucket might work too. )
          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I keep an old skewer for making holes in plastic containers, heat it in the gas flame on cooker, poke holes in pot, reheat and continue. Make sure room is well ventilated.

Comment

New member and novice gardener here. I have two rows of carrot seedlings, far too many seeds sown. Can I carefully thin them out and create another row or should I just thin them and get rid of the extras. They are about an inch or so above the ground at the moment. Feedback welcome.

Cheers

Alan

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Holmsie71. Let them get a bit bigger then eat the thinnings, don't throw them away, they make a tasty addition to a salad bowl.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Thanks Terrier, I'm just worried they may smother one another. I'm trying to grow carrots, beetroot, onions, beans, leeks, lettuce and other as yet unknown veg in a small raised bed, Balmoral 2nd earlies that are pushing through and I have rhubarb and a blackcurrant bush and a bramley apple tree. Everything has been planted since the beginning of April in a garden that previously was purely plants. My toddler loves it and it as you can probably tell I'm as excited as him. Sorry to go on but you may see quite a few more posts from me on this forum as I feel as if I have come home, if you see what I mean!

Comment

Originally posted by Holmsie71 View Post
                    New member and novice gardener here. I have two rows of carrot seedlings, far too many seeds sown. Can I carefully thin them out and create another row or should I just thin them and get rid of the extras. They are about an inch or so above the ground at the moment. Feedback welcome.

Cheers

Alan
                    When thinning out, do not leave thinnings on the ground, thin preferably in the evening and then water back to avoid leaving a scent to attract the dreaded carrot fly.

P.S welcome to the vine
                    http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Cheers for the replies, Bank Holiday to continue the adventure.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X