No announcement yet.

courgette, black beauty

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 3 in my grow bag, spaced out just like tomatoe plants.
    The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by growingkasbar View Post
      I have 3 in my grow bag, spaced out just like tomato plants.
      I don't want to scare you - but both the plants and roots will need more than 1/3 of a growbag.

The plants grow to about 1m wide. The roots need a good lot of soil. They are heavy feeders and need lots of watering, esp in pots or growbags.

I'd not grow them in growbags personally, but if I had to it would be one in the middle on it's own.

Better still, using big pots, take the contents out of the growbag and put them into big pots and grow them in there.

You might end up losing the 2 on the outside of the grow bag when the middle one takes over.

Comment

Thanks zazen999. i will keep an eye out for that.

Comment

well zazen999 it wont be a problem now seeing as the slimey slugs have eaten their way through one of my plants now only one healthy one and a half healthy one remain.

Comment

sow a couple more seeds in case

Comment

Sorry to hear that - but as Taff says, pop perhaps one or two more seeds in now, and another in a month for a later harvest.

Comment

i am really not having a good day today. Lost all my sweetcorn too!! They were ant infested. They ate the roots! Maybe i should wait a couple of days before planting more courgettes incase im cursed! lol

Comment

Do black beauty courgettes need to be pollenated between the male and female flowers?

Comment

Yes, but the bugs will usually do it for you, especially as the weather warms up.

Comment

Originally posted by sabina View Post
                      Do black beauty courgettes need to be pollenated between the male and female flowers?
                      Mother Nature will take care of this for you via her millions of hard working insects. I have about 16 Black Beauty to be planted out tonight, along with the same number of Golden Zucchini, Lebanese, Patty Pan, Yellow Scallop and DeNice A Fruit Rond. These will hopefully give me a slightly later crop than the 120 Defender, Ambassador and Taxi already in the ground.
                      Rat

British by birth
                      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                        Mother Nature will take care of this for you via her millions of hard working insects. I have about 16 Black Beauty to be planted out tonight, along with the same number of Golden Zucchini, Lebanese, Patty Pan, Yellow Scallop and DeNice A Fruit Rond. These will hopefully give me a slightly later crop than the 120 Defender, Ambassador and Taxi already in the ground.
                        You like courgettes then?

Comment

Originally posted by indigox View Post
                          You like courgettes then?
                          Yes ! But I also do this for a living and operate a box scheme and sell at the local farmers market and through a local shop- and any surplus goes to chutneys which I also sell.
                          Rat

British by birth
                          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                            Yes ! But I also do this for a living and operate a box scheme and sell at the local farmers market and through a local shop- and any surplus goes to chutneys which I also sell.

Ah-ha, that explains a lot! You are a busy rat.

Comment

Courgette problem!

Hi, I'm growing Black Beauty courgettes too. I have 4 plants which I grew from seed and they all seem to be throwing out male flowers only. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? They are in large pots in a mixture of multi purpose compost and john Innes. Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

They throw out male flowers first, so bees etc know where to come for pollen. You're doing nothing wrong, they'll put out female flowers when they're ready! Then, water it and stand back the more you pick the more you get!

Hope you like courgettes, as you'll probably have a few a day
                                Last edited by chris; 23-05-2011, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X