Can I save French Bean seeds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I save French Bean seeds?

I grew some nice French Beans in my allotment (which my partner originally bought as small plants earlier this year). The last few are still hanging off the canes. Can I save the seeds for planting next year, as per runner beans? If so, should they also turn brown and crisp, as per runner beans, before picking and saving?

Many Thanks!

As long as your beans had no problems there is no reason why you cannot save them and plant next year. If you had more than one variety growing close together you may have some hybrids but don't let that put you off.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hi Ben Lothair ( your not over 3000ft tall are you ) And welcome to the vine.

The only problem you may have is if they were F1 Hybrids they won't come true from seed but they may be better or Worse who knows - they haven't cost you anything so why not try you've nothing to loose.

If you are interested in saving your own seed the book by Sue Strickland from HDRA is excellent

Back Garden Seed Saving:
      Keeping Our Vegetable Heritage Alive
      ISBN: 1899233091
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Beans of all sorts can be saved and used as seed for next year. If they haven't gone brown and cripsy on the allotment or in the garden, pick the pods whole and bring them indoors to dry.

Comment

Some months later.... Just to say thanks for all your advice; I saved the seed, planted them a few weeks ago and they are now growing as well as any other seed I have bought!

Comment

French beans are great for saving...they don't hybridise so readily as Broad Beans do.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X