Holding down yer plastic / weed control fabric

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding down yer plastic / weed control fabric

Had to laught today at the simplicity of an idea another plotholder gave me!

I was about to break up some pavers to use to hold down the weed control fabric on one of our largest beds when she walked up and said, 'Dont bother breaking them up, just get some bin bags (or plastic bags), fill with 2 or 3 shovel fulls of soil, tie up and easy instant weights for your chosen ground covering!'

Soooo simple, I could have kicked myself! D'oh!

Anyone else any really good ideas that are just soo obvious that you wouldnt think of mentioning them? They may just be the very thing some of us newbies are looking for!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
    Had to laught today at the simplicity of an idea another plotholder gave me!

I was about to break up some pavers to use to hold down the weed control fabric on one of our largest beds when she walked up and said, 'Dont bother breaking them up, just get some bin bags (or plastic bags), fill with 2 or 3 shovel fulls of soil, tie up and easy instant weights for your chosen ground covering!'

Soooo simple, I could have kicked myself! D'oh!

Anyone else any really good ideas that are just soo obvious that you wouldnt think of mentioning them? They may just be the very thing some of us newbies are looking for!
    You can get special pegs but I usually just bury the edge in the soil!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If I'm just using it to suppress weeds, random pallets work well.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
        If I'm just using it to suppress weeds, random pallets work well.
        Nowt like keeping it tidy EB!Lol
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          You can get special pegs but I usually just bury the edge in the soil!
          I'd heard of the pegs, and had thought of burying the edges Snadger, but as they are only staying there for the winter I thought it better not to bury them!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

The pegs are very expensive for what they are. My OH just bought some fence wire, cut it into appropriate lengths, bent it into a horse shoe and Voila - pegs.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

The plastic pegs are not much cop. We've found the large metal staples work really well. Same principle as your horse shoe metal pegs really.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

Comment

I find that the pegs rip the fleece in high winds- we just use bricks and pieces of wood. (they are good for slugs and toads to hide under too!)
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If you want to us groundcover long term some tubs from the pound shop filled with bedding plants is a usefull & colourful way of keeping it down.
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

Does that count as cultivation then Nick?
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

Comment

I cut up a load of wire coathangers and bent them into u-shapes.

Comment

I did the same FHG - bought some thick galvanised wire and bent them (witht he help of pliers) into hairpin type shapes.

Comment

I use plastic bottles filled with water - which are then a handy water source or can be recyled into plant collars or bell cloches.
                          Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                          -- Alfred E. Neumann
                          http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

I thought of doing that denise, but was worried that theyd burst when frozen and then blow away after the water had thawed and drained, with my weed control fabvric blowing away too! lol!
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Some great ideas here! I bought the pegs and wished I hadn't as I found them horrendously difficult to get into the fabric and then if you want to pull it up at the end of the season you can't get the b****y things out again! Excuse my language but I have found this exercise a little fraught this year!

Like the idea of the metal coathangers and at least your bags Mrs D would be very helpful when trying to get the membrane down in the first place, another exercise which resulted in some bad language! Difficult when trying to do it on your own given our windy conditions.
                              ~
                              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X