Salad seeds still available?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad seeds still available?

I have been reading that you can grow salad all year round. I have a nice warm window ledge in my kitchen. But can I still buy seeds?

Hello tracyk and welcome to the vine a fun and friendly madhouse!!
    You probably can still buy salad leaves. You can get winter hardy lettuce for growing outside but if you want to grow indoors you could try sowing some mixed salad leaf seeds in a half tray and cutting while they are still small, in other words like growing cress and mustard. They are very tasty at this stage.

If you can't find any send me a private message by clicking on my username, I have been given some very large packs of mixed seed so can probably let you have some to try out.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hello and welcome Tracyk. Yes, I'm sure you will be able to buy seeds in any garden centre or at B&Q. At this time of year, growing conditions are not great as ther just isn't enough light. If you're desperate to grow something to eat on the windowsill, try rocket. You won't get an exibtion crop but you may get a few leaves for your salad. You could also try American Land Cress.
      Having said that - I'm off to plant some for myself. Good luck to both of us.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice. Rocket is my favourite!

Comment

Winter Purslane is also one you can try at this time of year (Miner's lettuce/Claytonia).
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

Comment

Only trouble with growing on a windowsill is lack of light. You may thing it's bright, but the seedlings tend to get very lanky with the warmth. Sprouting seeds, such as mustard and cress do well on windowsills this time of year.

Comment

Nick has posted a diy thingy with foil to reflect the light. I'll try and find the thread. If you are happy to settle for small salad leaves (a la posh restaurant) for adding a few to a sandwich or a bit of garnish I would think it is doable.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

Comment

It's on this thread as well as another one.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ead.php?t=3382

Best of luck.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X