No announcement yet.

Is this Comfrey - if not what is it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a barrel with a tap on it, in an elevated position next to my 1000Litre bulk water storage tank. I just keep bunging a few comfrey leaves in the top and filling it with water.
    When i want to use it it's a simple task to run a small amount into the watering can and fill it up from the tank with rainwater.

This way, the stink is way above head level and it's not until you open the tap each time you get a whiff!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I used a Bokashi bin last year and the smell was much more controllable, just stuffed with leaves and didn't add any water, then drained neat comfrey liquid from the tap for dilution. Didn't smell half as bad (except when I raised the lid to top up the leaves or when I had to empty the slime out at the end of the season!)
      Life is too short for drama & petty things!
      So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

I've got these 2 drainpipe thingys on the side of my shed, I put the comfrey in the top of one and nettles in the top of the other and the gunk drips out the bottom into vases. When the remains start clagging up the filter [old plant pots] I can take them out and empty them.

No smell!!!!! Apart from the emptying which is quick and fast and bunged straight into the compost bin 2 feet away.
        Attached Files

Comment

Andrea - that's pure genius - I love it!!
          Life is too short for drama & petty things!
          So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            I've got these 2 drainpipe thingys on the side of my shed, I put the comfrey in the top of one and nettles in the top of the other and the gunk drips out the bottom into vases. When the remains start clagging up the filter [old plant pots] I can take them out and empty them.

No smell!!!!! Apart from the emptying which is quick and fast and bunged straight into the compost bin 2 feet away.
            Where the heck do you get a continuous supply of nettles? I know they are a good host plant for butterflies and make nice beer, but 'The Committee' might have something to say about me propagating nettles in the lottie!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Seriously? Wow your lottie must be well kept. Ours has nettles growing at the top end, round the outer fence, edge of the plots, nearby paths/woods, every-bloody-where.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                Where the heck do you get a continuous supply of nettles?
                I have a patch hidden among my Calendula ... it's about 2 foot square, and is now absolutely crawling with little black hairy caterpillars.

I'm hoping they will turn into these quite soon:

All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  'The Committee' might have something to say about me propagating nettles in the lottie!
                  I don't let them go to seed ... if you keep chopping the tops off for fertiliser, they won't go to seed anyway
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X