No announcement yet.

What are the rules on fences?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our area, we're responsible for the left side and the back and we get the attractive side of the fence we are responsible for
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

We got the unattractive sides of all three fences! I suppose at least they match *grumble grumble*.
      Singleton Allotments Society
      Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

In all the houses i've lived in, in several counties, as you look to the house from the road/front i've been reponsible for the boundary on the left. But in the back garden looking down from the house I'm responsible for the boundary on the right, it's been the same wherever i've lived. As for which way fences should face, they say the good side should face your neighbour...i think it's a common courtesy thing, where i am now everyone has the good side facing them, including me!!!
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

the trouble is from when houses are built is one thing but over the years people change fences and sometimes one party wants a bigger fence than the other so they pay to get what they want ,best answer talk to next door or go independent with frame no agro

Comment

While there is a convention as to who gets the good/bad side of a fence there is no legal rule as to which way around a fence has to be put up so you can't tell by looking who owns it. It may say in the deed who's responsible for fencing or it can be joint. However, it's also perfectly legal to put up your own fence 1/2" inside the boundary and that makes it your fence even if the deed says originally it's different.

I would ask your neighbour unless you paid for the fence. Or you could just put a couple of posts in independent of the fence. It doesn't sound like you'd need anything as think as a fence post to do what you'd like.

Comment

Slightly more to the point about sides, you put the less climable side on the outside from you.
              One idiot locally bought those nice looking 6'x6' vertical weatherboard panels and put them with the boards facing into his garden and the side with the supporting frame facing into the park, giving anyone who fancies it a readymade climbing frame into his garden.

BTW ours front and back is the left as seen from the road out front of the property.
              Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
              Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
              I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

I meant to say that I wouldn't be drilling into their fence. Good idea Tamsin, I could just pop a couple of posts in on my side, I'll do that because I like the idea of growing balconies of strawberries up the fence (am growing blackberries against the fence too).

All the fences were probably put up by the developers - we're on an estate that is no more than about 4 years old. Our house is the newest. Both houses on the right of us (ie the fence I want to grow my strawberries on) are selling up (and have been for over 18 months!)...
                Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

I was on the receiving end of a long lecture from my father in-law recently about fencing, we live in a coucil house and the council stated we are responsible for the right hand fences if stood in the road looking at the house, my FIL assured me that the law always stood that you are responsible for the left hand side which was the case at the council house he once lived in on the opposite side of the city (same council lol) so if the local councils cannot decide then how we mere mortals are to decide i have no idea, the fence he assumed was ours then caused him to go further because the supports and framework are our side which he said means its our fence, you should always keep the ugly side on your side and the good side facing away, but again nobody ever seems to follow that anymore.

On a personal note i think i prefer having the framework my side because it will make it easier for me to hang things from the fence, the one which belongs to my neighbour has a metal frame so very good for me, i plan on hanging some reasonable planters along it for next year.

Comment

Whatever you eventually do Sonata, I think the hanging gardens of strawberrylon are a fantastic idea.
                    So much so that I see a place for that in my garden too, at about grandchild height.
                    Bob Leponge
                    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

That's cunning. Free child labour for picking the fruit!

However I'm doing mine higher after my 2 year old picked half of my green tomatoes.

Comment

Don't forget that if it is panelled fencing ie the ones that slide into concrete posts, he may want to lift them out every few years to recoat them with Ronseal or whatever.
                        Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Build a wall. Problem solved - no fence to worry about.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X