No announcement yet.

Leggy or not leggy...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tweety i dont know, but its near enough at the lumpy rain (hail) stage with us just now.....i have taken in my stray tomato seedling and me peas.....

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
      Thanks Two Sheds, it did not say on the packet I could sow them directly outdoors...
      I'll see how the seedlings go, but if needed I'll buy a new seed packet and restart all...

I also have courgette and tomato seedlings, they are sitting in my west facing window and I am affraid they won't get enough light. is it too early / too cold to put them in the plastic greenhouse for the day ?
      Very early for courgettes you should not need to start them off until mid April!

Edit: Looking at your location May, unless of course you have a big greenhouse and your growing them there?
      Last edited by greengas; 29-03-2010, 09:08 PM.
      http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

A couple of observations....

1/ you can get a thermometer for a pound or so from various outlets. Put the thermometer in the plastic greenhouse for 30 minutes but put it behind something solid to keep the sun off any part of the thermometer and you will have the current temperature of the greenhouse. If it is more than 18 degrees and less than 25 degrees then that is great for seedlings.

2/ Unfortunately, the sun is very strong in spring and can burn the tips of seedlings put into plastic greenhouses so if the temperature gets hot you should put some shading over it.

3/ It is better for the seedlings to have less light than to get burnt by the sun.

4/ Don't forget that we often have strong winds in April or May and plastic greenhouses get blown over so now is the time to make sure they are securely fixed down.
        The proof of the growing is in the eating.
        Leave Rotten Fruit.
        Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
        Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
        Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Originally posted by greengas View Post
          Very early for courgettes you should not need to start them off until mid April!

Edit: Looking at your location May, unless of course you have a big greenhouse and your growing them there?
          wow !!! I have clearly started far too early then... I didn't want to do like last year when I started late... or so I tought...
          isn't May a bit late ? the seedlings are back inside, I was not "cruel" enough to get them out this morning... will see how they do...
          if they die, well, I'll sow gain in May and will learn for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
            A couple of observations....

1/ you can get a thermometer for a pound or so from various outlets. Put the thermometer in the plastic greenhouse for 30 minutes but put it behind something solid to keep the sun off any part of the thermometer and you will have the current temperature of the greenhouse. If it is more than 18 degrees and less than 25 degrees then that is great for seedlings.

2/ Unfortunately, the sun is very strong in spring and can burn the tips of seedlings put into plastic greenhouses so if the temperature gets hot you should put some shading over it.

3/ It is better for the seedlings to have less light than to get burnt by the sun.

4/ Don't forget that we often have strong winds in April or May and plastic greenhouses get blown over so now is the time to make sure they are securely fixed down.

Teakdesk,

thanks for the advice above.

between 18 and 25 degres ? well I'll have to wait until july to get those temps in Scotland !
            I have bought a thermometer this morning... I'll wait for the snow to be gone before checking the temps. but I know for sure that I am nowhere near what you recommend at the moment... (average outside temps is about 5 degres !)

the greenhouse is against a fence and I have some growbags on the ground to keep it from moving. so far so good, it has not blown away... but I can see how easy it could when I see it "swell" with the wind !

is fleece useful for seedlings ? does it not prevent light from reaching the plants ? I have seen some cheap fleece at the poundstore and wanted to take some... but then questions popped in mind and I wasn't sure it would be good in the plastic greenhouse...

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
              between 18 and 25 degres ? well I'll have to wait until july to get those temps in Scotland !
              I have bought a thermometer this morning... I'll wait for the snow to be gone before checking the temps. but I know for sure that I am nowhere near what you recommend at the moment... (average outside temps is about 5 degres !)

I think you will be surprised just how hot a little bit of sun makes a greenhouse... if you think how hot a car gets when the sun is out you will start to get an idea of what the sun does (dogs left in a car can die because temperatures get hot enough to cook an egg!!).

I use fleece from the poundshop to shade plants in my greenhouse or old net curtains (you can use new if you see some cheap in the market) - I've killed many a seed tray in spring by leaving it without shading!!

Growing seedlings especially is all about getting the temperature right for the light available - in spring there is not much light so keep temperatures lowish and the seedling will grow sturdy but if the temperature is higher then the seedling will want more light and grow leggy looking for more light.

In summer there is more light so temperatures can be higher and the plant will grow properly.
              The proof of the growing is in the eating.
              Leave Rotten Fruit.
              Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
              Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
              Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X