What do you feed to your veg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lovely Helen View Post
    I use BFB but remember seeing somewhere that if you have any cuts on your hands you should wear gloves to apply it.
    there was some concern that CJD or similar nasties might be contracted through using BFB. You should use gloves, and you should wash your hands after. You also need to avoid inhaling it.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      You also need to avoid inhaling it.
      But that goes for most things! There have been cases of Legionnaire's disease contracted from inhaling minute particles in compost.
      Sensible precautions at all times.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys!

So my toms are about 4" high now there is 3" pots should I pot them on again before the final planting and should I feed them now or wait till they get bigger and show signs of flowering?
        It's not as easy as it seems, all this growing your own, is it????. I'm beginning to worry about the siting of my greenhouse now, it don't seem to be getting much sun (when it's out!) but OH said that as the days get longer the sun gets higher in the sky it will be fine! Hope he's right coz it's the only place that it will fit.

E x

Comment

I'd leave them there for a bit - then pot on to a bit bigger pot. Don't got to a big one at one go.
          I usually leave feeding till they set fruits.
          You worry about the siting of your greenhouse? Mine's under an electric power line - just a small one to the cottage next door. All the birds perch on it when they feel a poo coming on. I never need greenhouse shading!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

anyone near the coast,i use half a bucket full of seaweed under each tattie, and thats it,and they taste superb,like jerseys....

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
              I use rabbit poop under squash, melon, peas, beans, onions and leeks. BFB in the final containners/ground when I plant out most stuff and tom food for anything that is fruiting eg toms, peppers, aubergines etc. I don't know how right that is though.
              Do you let it rot down? Or just use the poo like mini pellets? Or make a tea with them?

I tried burying some (along with the straw, which after reading a few posts, might not have been such a good idea ), for peas and courgettes. I must have done it about a month or 2 ago, so hopefully it will be ok.

If you do just use the poo, do you do anything with the left over bedding straw?

Sorry for all the questions It would be a shame not to make the most of all the poo ours make!

Comment

I do a mix When I plant out I dig the hole, pop some poop in, then mix a bit of soil in with it and then plant on top, for the seeds I add a layer of poop at the bottom of the tray/pot and then soil on top.

The peas I mixed some in about two weeks ago, it was still semi there when I planted them out yesterday but absolutely full of worms. I've started adding it where my runner beans will get planted out. I just make a pile then dig it in a bit.

I collect any loose poop off the top of the tray to use straight then empty the rest of the tray in to the compost bin to rot down as hay takes longer. I use paper based cat litter in the tray so it can all be composted. That way I don't have bits of hay around the garden. The resulting compost I then stick anywhere that needs it.

I might try making tea in the summer and feeding it to my sunflowers etc. see if that makes them grow

Tam

Comment

I only use comfrey as an actual feed.
                  I dig in plenty of rotted down cow/horse manure every autumn after the growing season, dig it all over again in the spring and from there I plant my stuff.
                  For the carrot bed I just dig over, adding no manure, all other beds get the manure treatment.
                  When watering (raised beds, so they do tend to dry out quicker) I put a small amount of neat comfrey liquid into the watering can and feed/water at the same time.
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X