No announcement yet.

Carrots Germination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine are under fleece and are just peeping through after 3 weeks, but I'm in Kent.
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
      Mine are under fleece and are just peeping through after 3 weeks, but I'm in Kent.
      I'm in Kent too!

There was a frost in my area last night, but I understand carrots can be planted out from as early as 4 weeks before the last Spring frost.

Comment

Carrots can withstand frost & snow - I've just dug some up out of last year's patch.

The problem is they won't germinate in cold temps. They like a soil temp of 10C to germinate
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine have just popped up today after I sowed them about 4 weeks ago. They're in a raised bed but other than that they're in the open - no protection at all.

Mind you, they are Parmex which I've found will germinate very very easily - unlike the other varieties I've tried where I've been lucky to get half a dozen carrots out of 3 four foot rows!

Parmex may look at bit funny but they taste wonderful.

Comment

Yup Parmex are good and do have a good germination rate I found.
            Last year from memory I planted my carrots at least 3 weeks from now, and they started showing within about a fortnight. Outside with no cover but in a raised bed.
            I am home in a couple of weeks or so and I will be sowing my carrots then. If its still too cold I shall be sowing them in loo rolls in an unheated greenhouse and leaving them there till the soil is warm enough, then just plant them out as they are.
            And yes, I do have thousands of loo roll tubes.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I planted some BBC Digin Charantais seeds outside in a trough a week ago. Am I too late to cover with a cloche of sorts?

Comment

carrots

hi i planted my carrots outside on the 5th feb and there was nothing i baught a new cover for my plastic green house last weekend and by the middle of this week i could clearly see shoots i got so excited lol its my first time growing anything

Comment

Still waiting for mine, only been 2 weeks though and I didn't have room in the green house.

What are parmex like? I'm quite tempted to try them in our clay soil. How big do they actually get?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X