Signs of germination!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs of germination!

Thanks to everyone that was kind enough to offer advice last week on courgette and tomato varieties - last night I spotted that the tomatoes have started to germinate, and I'm pathetically excited!

I know it's terribly early days, with plenty of time for things to go horribly wrong - and knowing me, they will, so I shall be celebrating every success, no matter how small:-)

Originally posted by Balconygardener View Post
    Thanks to everyone that was kind enough to offer advice last week on courgette and tomato varieties - last night I spotted that the tomatoes have started to germinate, and I'm pathetically excited!

I know it's terribly early days, with plenty of time for things to go horribly wrong - and knowing me, they will, so I shall be celebrating every success, no matter how small:-)
    Congrats!

I know that feeling! Got my own garden for 1st time this year and like a kid in a sweetie shop everytime something new pops up! So much fun!

I'm just pleased I actually managed to get some seeds to sprout!

Comment

Hi Balconygardener - I know exactly what you are feeling as well - my airing cupboard door is opened on a regular basis for a peek inside at my two mini propagators - so much so that I've shut the cat in twice in the last 2 days!
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
        so much so that I've shut the cat in twice in the last 2 days!
        Brilliant! My propagator is on a table in the spare bedroom window, otherwise I am sure I would have done much the same thing.

Comment

You never lose that excitement. You should have seen me this morning when I found that my direct-sown broad beans at the allotment had started to germinate! Daft beggar I am!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

It's a great feeling and a pretty new one to me too.
            I've had a bit of an issue with some of my seeds - Take-2 is starting today.

I've got a few things though - and the broad beans I soaked, planted in some pots in the garden at home and completely ignored from that point on (I didn't even water them) have started to show their faces - I'll be getting them in at the allotment in the next day or so.
            Despite the neglect, when I saw the shoots I got really excited.

This thread reminded me to sort out the coir brick I had soaking overnight too (going to have a go at making a seed mix in case the bad germination rate I got with my first attempt was anything to do with fungus in the compost) - it's draining off in a couple of pots now and will be filled with seeds before long.
            Last edited by organic; 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Yes, the excitement never goes!!

You may be doing it already but if you are planting outside then you will benefit from sowing twice - once a little early and again 2 or 3 weeks later.

I do this because you can never know what season/weather we will get:
              - if May is warm then the early sowing (which will have grown large) can go outside
              - otherwise if May is cold the later sowing (which won't be as large) can go out in June when they are large enough.

You do have to throw away one of the sets of plants though - but you get twice the excitement of seeing seeds germinate!!!
              The proof of the growing is in the eating.
              Leave Rotten Fruit.
              Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
              Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
              Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Thanks, teakdeak - I am planting in pots on my balcony. I'm planning on keeping the plants indoors until they are big enough for their final pots. I have no idea how long that will take - or even if they will progress that far.

I don't have much faith in my own ability to keep them alive (although I will certainly be doing my very best!) so I may yet get the excitement of a second sowing anyway:-)

Comment

I'm pleased to report that all but one of my tomatoes have germinated, and most are showing signs of their first true (non-seed) leaves. I also have three healthy looking courgette seedlings (out of 4 planted), which also have second leaves on the way.

Can't stop looking at them!

Comment

You've given life to something: there isn't a better feeling than that, is there? (apart from when you eat it )
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 12-04-2010, 03:30 PM.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      You've given life to something: there isn't a better feeling than that, is there?

Two Sheds, you are so right! I'll post some photos when as soon as I can remember!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X