Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucumbers

Hi all
    I have had a lot of success with tomatoes and chillis and wanted to try acouple of lemon cues too.
    Thing is, I was given some seed with conflicting information - and after 4 weeks have had no sign of germination, so figured maybe you could point me in the right direction....please
    The cues are in small pot in my lean-to conservatory which is very warm and a constant temp at night. I water the pot about once a day. They are potted in seed compost and vericulite.

Do you think they would be better on heated propergator, or are they slow germinating? Or is it too hot?
    Thanks for your help

Watering once a day when there is no plant drinking the water might be a bit too much. The seeds may have rotted. Mine came up in about 4 days at room temperate.

I would have a rummage in the pot and see if you can spot anything if not try again. You could put a bit of plastic over once sown and then you shouldn't need to rewater until after they have germinated.

Comment

No by watering i mean putting some water in the drainage tray and its shared with several other pots...etc
      Anyway, Tamsin thanks for the advice, I rummaged around and found one just starting to shoot, the other looks the same as when I planted it I guess the seed may have been quite old.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
        Hi all
        I have had a lot of success with tomatoes and chillis and wanted to try acouple of lemon cues too.
        Thing is, I was given some seed with conflicting information - and after 4 weeks have had no sign of germination, so figured maybe you could point me in the right direction....please
        The cues are in small pot in my lean-to conservatory which is very warm and a constant temp at night. I water the pot about once a day. They are potted in seed compost and vericulite.

Do you think they would be better on heated propergator, or are they slow germinating? Or is it too hot?
        Thanks for your help
        Planted 2 spacemaker,2 marketmore & 2 lemon cues in a 6 cell heated propagator & the 1st 4 germinated with no problem but no sign of the lemon cues so heat doesn`t necessarily help.
        Perhaps the seeds are duff.

Comment

I don't do my cukes in the propagator. They always come up fine after about a week on a sunny windowsill, covered in a bit of clingfilm. And I don't start them off til about mid-march onwards. And I water once a day from the top once they are through, but no extra water while they are under the cling, they don't seem to need it.

Comment

I've popped mine in a sunny position and they've all germinated, there about 4" tall now with 4 sets of true leaves, I've grown Crystal lemon, and Marketmore.

Don't over water them and make sure they get plenty of light, that way they'll not go all leggy.

Comment

Cukes should not need a heated propagator - unless you are starting them very early, in which case you would also need a heated greenhouse.
              I sow loads of cucumbers (75 each year for the last three years) and although I stick to the same varieties and haven't grown the varieties you mention, I never have any problems with germination - and being a Scot that's good cause the seed is bl**dy expensive.
              I sow the seeds in my polytunnel in 3" pots filled with a 75/25 mix of Multi purpose compost and vermiculite . The seed is sown at about 1" deep on it's edge, and if nothing is showing after 10 days I will take a wee peek. I have had a few seeds that have taken up to about 20 days but about a week is the norm for me, even up here.
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

OK thanks everyone - I am thinking I have a dud lot of seeds. Do you think it will be ok to try again later - say next month, when I can get some more seeds or will that be too late?

Comment

Hi Thea
                  I got my seeds from more veg. Only 3 per packet but works out pretty economical. My 3 crystal lemons were sown on 7th april, one per 3" pot, on its side (seed not pot!), in B&Q MPC. just put on a windowsill, with pots covered by a propogator lid until they show. Seeds said hello yesterday morning. I have some marketmore I could send you if any help
                  Also sowing Diva F1 and El Toro F1 but cant remember why!

The packets said to not grow female varieties together, which i didn't realise when I ordered them (DOH!). Is this a definate no no or can I risk it? Anyone know?

Donnax
                  http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

My cucumbers came up yesterday! 3x cucino and 3x White skinned variety! Only one not come up yet! YAY I was just about to sow some more...
                    http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

I had some Socrates F1 ones for a greenhouse, I sowed 3 and 3 came up.

Then, because I don't have a greenhouse I bought some Marketmore outdoor ones, I sowed 6 of those last weekend and all 6 of them have come up.

I put mine in modules in the living room with glass from picture frames over them.
                      Last edited by Nykied; 17-04-2010, 11:56 AM. Reason: It submitted before I wanted it to!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X