Broad bean question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad bean question

So I planted some broad beans in the autumn last year, and the survived the frosts etc, have been looking healthy and in the last week they've gone great guns and they producing loads of flowers.

So if they are flowering now - when can I expect the pods to be ready for harvesting?

I would say June ish. I did the same with mine but lost them all to the frosts this year, always sowed them in November, never a problem before. Just shows how cold it was even this far south.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Comment

June-ish is about right for overwintered broad beans, although this hard winter has knocked them back. That said, although mine look quite small plants they are now flowering.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

On the subject of broad beans..........

Ive got some broad bean plants growing in my little polythene greenhouse - they are about a foot high (including pot).

How tall do broad beans get? I am wondering where best to place them in my small garden (on the tall obelisk but in the wind? against the sunny wall - but also in the wind, or round the back- sheltered but not so sunny)

An while we are here.... Ive noticed what looks like teeny black 'beetles' or similar inside some of the leaves? what are these? and what can I do about them?
        sorry for hyjacking you thread .
        West Forester.:-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X