No announcement yet.

emerging and non emerging seedlings...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emerging and non emerging seedlings...

Hi,

I have sown some tomato and sweet pepper seeds in modules.
    some tomatoes are already appearing and I have read that I should remove the top of the propagators as soon as I see seedlings.
    but can I take them off even if most seeds have not germinated yet ? will that prevent the other seeds from germinating (not enough heat ?)

I now think sowing different seeds in the same modules was a bad idea... having said that not all my tomatoes have germinated yet !

thanks for your advice.
    stephanie

I'm still new but one of my trays of tomatoes germinated at different times, but I just left the glass on until they'd all popped up. They all germinated apart from one and they're looking healthy (I think!).

Comment

I did the opposite, I decided to sow 6 rows of different seeds in a tray & took the lid off when the first ones showed, the others followed so am not sure if there is a right or wrong answer, I think it is more to do with humidity as well as heat.
      Last edited by Bigmallly; 15-04-2010, 01:02 PM.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks Nykied and Bigmally.

should I just lift it by an inch so I do a bit of both methods !
        I think I'll leave the lid on a few more days to see if more seedlings appears then I'll take it off... or I might just take the lid off and put them in the pastic greenhouse during the day...
        It was warmer there than in the house this morning ! I should move my armchair !

Comment

I take them out when most of the seedlings have appeared
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine were left in the propagator until I was ready to transplant - they were hitting the top of the propagator by then - they seem healthy and have flowers appearing, so I don't think it matters much.

Comment

If your modules are made from thin plastic, then just cut out the modules you need to remove and leave the ones which haven't germinated - simples

Comment

Originally posted by gorgeousgrower View Post
                If your modules are made from thin plastic, then just cut out the modules you need to remove and leave the ones which haven't germinated - simples

yes very simple !!! why didn't I think of that ?
                I have solved the "problem, for now.... an afternoon in the plastic greenhouse yesterday and all "lazy" seeds were up ! well, at least for the tomatoes... I have moved the peppers to another half empty propagator...

thanks for all who gave their advice

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X