Could I grow toms over an arch?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taff View Post
    I've been struggling to find a picture I saw this week on the net while I was looking for various things about blight.

Basically, it was a normal greenhouse, they'd strung wires across the top of the greenhouse as well as the sides and were growing tomatoes up and under and across the roof.
    Somewhere in Jersey or Guernsey or something like that....
    Well, being a 'Guernseyman', I did spend quite a few years of my life in a Guernsey greenhouse. In the greenhouse that I built, (see my blog) I ran wires down the greenhouse over the paths, which is why I chose to build a wooden framed greenhouse as opposed to using a plastic tunnel with metal frames as it is more difficult to run wires down, but not impossible.
    We used the arch system because our season was so long and the plants grew to over 20 foot in length.

Grow the plant on a string to the top of the support wire, but keep the head of the plant on the inside of the wire or it will snap.

You will need extra support wires overhead of the path to lay the plants on, and space your plants about 18 inches apart to allow room when they cross each other overhead.

When the plant has grown overhead to the other side of the path, it will be resting on the main crop wire the other side. Leave it to grow across the gap between the rows and let it grow right across to the next main support wire.

I hope you are following me here... so the plant will now be reaching right over to the next path. This is when you 'loop' the plant.
    Once you have enough length on the plant you let it 'loop' in the gap between rows, supporting the head with a twist tie. Once a week as the plant grows, you lower the extra growth to make a bigger loop. This way the head always stays in the light. Your plant will now be about 20 foot, if you started growing early enough.

A month before the end of the season, nip the head off to allow all the remaining fruit to develop.

Sorry, but this is a bit difficult to explain, but I hope you get my drift, I will try and do a drawing or find a picture, which will probably be far clearer and add this to my blog.

I did use this system last year in my greenhouse, but did not take any pictures. This year, I have a blog so will be able to guide interested people through the training and trimming process when using this system.

Mr TK
    Mr TK's blog:
    http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
    2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Oooh thanks TK! I'm excited now. I think I understand but a piccie would be useful. Did you get a decent crop?
      AKA Angie

Comment

OK had a search and could not find a diagram or picture, so I made one. Yes I know art was not my strongest subject at school, but you should get the idea now.
        Mr TK

Attached Files
        Mr TK's blog:
        http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
        2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Brilliant, thanks TK, I'm going to print it off!
          AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X