Could I grow toms over an arch?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I grow toms over an arch?

Just wondering if it would be possible to grow tomatoes over an arch. If so, which varieties would be best?
    AKA Angie

Hmmm... I suppose you could... You'd have to have a cordon/indeterminate variety, and one that is described as 'vigorous' so that it grew fast enough. What type were you thinking of? Sungold might possibly do it? I think a cherry type would be best, to give the tomatoes the best chance of ripening.

Comment

If you like the little tiny type of tomato, I have some 'Matt's Wild Cherry' you can have - they're rampant growers!

Comment

Hi Sarz thanks for the replies. Was initially thinking of beef toms but perhaps they might not be rampant enough! Just trying to be creative with the space and know that with some toms, if you don't pinch out the growing tip, will continue growing. I have some sungold on the go so that might be an option. The alternative to toms are cucumbers. I also have a mexican sour gherkin growing which supposedly grows to 3m!!!
        AKA Angie

Comment

Any that are labelled as indeterminate or cordon will keep growing til you 'stop' them. The only problem would be getting the higher trusses to ripen, I think. And having to stand on a ladder to tie them in and side-shoot them (Or that might just be me )

Comment

Ha ha no, not just you but I have a little footstool which just makes it high enough . Hmm take your point about the ripening buttttttt I feel an experiment coming on with one of my spare toms
            AKA Angie

Comment

They would grow up but not down; so perhaps one on each side and stop them once they are at the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                They would grow up but not down; so perhaps one on each side and stop them once they are at the middle.
                Ahaaaaa I like your thinking
                AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                  I also have a mexican sour gherkin growing which supposedly grows to 3m!!!
                  Errrr thats not the same one you gave me is it? If it is you didnt warn me about that bit!
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Interesting idea. Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                      Errrr thats not the same one you gave me is it? If it is you didnt warn me about that bit!
                      ermmmmmmmm I admit it is BUT I doubt very much it will grow that big, I'm going to pinch out the growing tip
                      AKA Angie

Comment

I've been struggling to find a picture I saw this week on the net while I was looking for various things about blight.

Basically, it was a normal greenhouse, they'd strung wires across the top of the greenhouse as well as the sides and were growing tomatoes up and under and across the roof.
                        Somewhere in Jersey or Guernsey or something like that....

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                          I've been struggling to find a picture I saw this week on the net while I was looking for various things about blight.

Basically, it was a normal greenhouse, they'd strung wires across the top of the greenhouse as well as the sides and were growing tomatoes up and under and across the roof.
                          That sounds interesting. See if you can find the pic!
                          AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                            Just wondering if it would be possible to grow tomatoes over an arch. If so, which varieties would be best?
                            I really like that idea... I wonder if I could get my arches into the greenhouse, Mmmm

I suspect outdoors, tomatoes wouldn't grow tall enough to go over an arch.
                            "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post

I should have read the whole thread. That was exactly the same sort of thing I was thinking about in my greenhouse.

I've always wanted to do something like that, but I suspect my greenhouse wouldn't be strong enough to support my toms later on. Hence the arch...or a spectacular contraption of canes and string.......... or even better, a mixture of both

I'm going to be really disappointed if I can't get the arches in now
                              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X