Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you neutralise Roundup?

Tell you why...

Hoping to go down the Ornamental Kitchen Garden route, which suggests spraying with seaweed.

Some time back I was given a 'backpack' type spray but it's been used for Roundup. If I wash it out a few times will it be OK to use? Is there something that will neutralise the stuff? Or shall I just get another?

I wouldnt risk it, use another, you wont know till everything is poisoned by the stuff that may still be in the spray
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I'd have thought it would be ok...maybe wash it out with detergent (test it out on something..if it ain't looking ill in a week!)..but do you really need a backpack for seaweed spray?? I should make your own(smell like an open grave)..or buy shares in Maxicrop

Comment

Originally posted by starloc View Post
        I wouldnt risk it, use another, you wont know till everything is poisoned by the stuff that may still be in the spray
        That's why I was wondering! Thought about a 'test patch' on something that doesn't matter - like weeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
          I'd have thought it would be ok...maybe wash it out with detergent (test it out on something..if it ain't looking ill in a week!)..but do you really need a backpack for seaweed spray?? I should make your own(smell like an open grave)..or buy shares in Maxicrop
          Mm. As I said to starloc, thought about a 'test patch'; but I thought if someone knew better it'd save time and energy (and I'm a bit short of both at the mo).

Sorry, but I'm a bear of very little brain and not much experience, so the rest of it's lost on me!

Why wouldn't I need a proper spray to do my whole (half) plot? As for making my own, I've heard that Aberdeen City Council can get a bit snippy about removing stuff from the beach! And do I assume Maxicrop do a seaweed thingy?
          Last edited by basketcase; 17-04-2010, 07:24 AM.

Comment

I would have thought that if you wash the sprayer thoroughly you would be OK. I used a large pump hand sprayer for sodium chlorate then washed it and used it for watering hanging baskets without any problems

Comment

Maxicrop is the standard seaweed brand superb stuff....I was only just commenting that a backpackfull would be enough to cover quite a lot of plants... I suspect It will be excellent.

I am not aware of any law or prosecution against collecting jetsum seaweed...just don't cut the live stuff. Below high tide mark doesn't it belong to the crown not the council anyway?....say Liz gave you permission.

Comment

Make sure you use a detergent, washing up liquid would do, and rinse & spray it right through the system about 5 or six times. Should be ok after that.

I know its easier said than done, but if you MUST use weedkillers try and keep a seperate sprayer just for that purpose.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I just used my normal watering can for Roundup, then rinsed it about 5 times afterwards (no detergent).

I watered the perimeter weeds a few times with the 'cleaned' watering can, and they were fine.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I collect washed up seaweed from a couple of places and no-one has ever bothered me, though I have some funny looks as I trundle along the beach with my wheelbarrow !
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

If the sprayer is rinsed through three times with water, that should be sufficient to clean it out. That's what I was told when I took my Spray Certificate. Personally, however, to be on the safe side, I'd be inclined to rinse more than that, especially if using another chemical in the sprayer afterwards. Beware that detergents can damage the seals.
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X