Another potting-on question.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another potting-on question.

I've been meaning to ask for a while now, is it absolutely essential to pot plants on in small increments?

I've been wondering whether I could just take the seedlings from the plug trays and 3"-ish pots I've got them in and drop them straight into something bigger like a 7" or something and then into the ground when the time comes.

Would putting them into a big pot right away cause some kind of problems with over-growth or rooting or something?

I can't figure out a reason not to skip the intermediate steps but thought I'd ask before I go ahead and risk all my seedlings on it.

Cheers folks!

I think the main reason not to skip stages of moving to the next size pot up is that if the new pot is too large there is a lot more unexplored medium without rooting and so there's more risk of the plant being overwatered and staying overwet which could cause problems.

Comment

As fern said, the extra compost then goes sour.
      You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

Pretty sure I read on here that tomatoes like being snug in their pots before moving up a stage, might have been dreaming though
        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Chillies definitely do. I skipped a stage last year, put a tiny seedling into a too big pot and it sat and sulked for ages. This year they are out growing their small pots at an alarming rate, no sulking at all Not sure about tomatoes though. I skipped a stage with the really early ones as they were getting big and putting out flowers. It seems to upset them when they're still babies I think.

Comment

I put my toms into the 2" peat pots and they can then be put straight into a large buckets whenever. I just rip the bottom of the pot to expose the roots a little.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I do the increments. I like them to have a good rootball before moving on. Your tomatoes shouldn't ever get a check in growth.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks.
                Not having peat pots I think I'll give them a bit more time to produce more roots and then stick them in an intermediate pot before I go to my bigger ones.
                Thanks for the input.

Comment

Unless you keep them very moist (often too moist for the plant inside) I think peat pots tend to go dry and inhibit root growth. I'm not a fan!

Comment

Flummery, I've found this with the peat pots I've put my sweetpeas into. They feel all papery and I'm wondering if I should put them into water or something for a bit rather than watering them from the top into the compost. Any ideas anyone?

Comment

I stick to stages in the hope they'll last in smallish pots until it's warm enough outside... my window sills are a little stuffed atm

Comment

im using peat pots atm? The toms ive planted up in to them seem to be doing really really well, i thought that using these peat pots would minimise root disturbance???

Comment

Originally posted by Nykied View Post
                          Flummery, I've found this with the peat pots I've put my sweetpeas into. They feel all papery and I'm wondering if I should put them into water or something for a bit rather than watering them from the top into the compost. Any ideas anyone?
                          I'd pit them into water as you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJimbo View Post
                            im using peat pots atm? The toms ive planted up in to them seem to be doing really really well, i thought that using these peat pots would minimise root disturbance???
                            Unless the pot is wet enough for the roots to penetrate all it does is restrict them. (in my opinion!)

Comment

Some plants Really Object to being put into pots that are too big for them, some don't mind it so much. Main ones that I can think of off the top of my head are cucumbers and peppers & chillis. It's being sat in excess cold wet compost that does it - the roots aren't big enough to take up the water from the surrounding compost and you have the possibility of rots setting in.. With tomatoes, if you have them in a 3 inch pot and they get too big, scorch is an issue (because they can't take up enough water to protect the leaves) but if you put them into final position/pot before they're big enough then you get the same issues with too wet/not enough root. So a 5 inch pot is an ideal stepping stone. It is an extra investment but if you're planning to keep growing every year, then it's worth it IMO.

As for peat/fibre pots, they can be really useful, but you have to remember their idiosyncrasies. Last year I wasn't diligent enough planting out my peas, and the top edges of some of the fibre pots was left sticking out of the ground. Those plants really suffered because the sticking out bit acted as a wick, and evaporated moisture from the whole pot that was below ground So the plant never really managed to get decent roots out through the fibre and constantly lacked water... I didn't get very good crops from those plants

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X