Pathetic Broadies.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathetic Broadies.

Well,I finally managed to get my first ever broad beans through winter...previous years they've either been eaten by mice or slugs or my pot grown ones at home have been in a mini greenhouse that's blown over in the wind(losing all my beans)
    However,they're absolutely pathetic
    I'd say the tallest is approx three inches tall and already attempting to flower.
    Everyone at the lottie says it's been a bad winter for Broadies,yet theirs are all still looking OK.
    The only thing I've done different to them is that I had several self seeded peas pop up amongst them and I let them stay...thinking they'd be able to grow up my robust Broad Beans
    Could the peas have inhibitted growth?
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Nah. Probably not. I put peas and beans together all the time.

Probably just the long cold winter....

Comment

One step at a time - this year you got them to survive, next year they'll survive and be 4 foot tall and lush

Seriously though, I don't think peas will inhibit too much -they'll be nitrogen fixing at least! Have you tried feeding them a bit? And it HAS been a really harsh winter... My PSB is about 4 inches tall and trying to sprout too I've just nipped off the buds and fed the plants, hoping that they'll put on a bit of growth before trying to flower again...

Comment

Well your PSB is better than mine..but I have got some rather good 'sprouts' coming on my Nine star
        Thanks both,I didn't think the peas should cause a problem but it did get me wondering.
        i shall share me lunch with them later

Comment

My broadies that I overwintered in the snow etc are about 8 inches tall but very healthy and covered in flowers. My peas are not very tall either. I put it down to the harsh winter and not worry too much about it. You should still get some beans

Comment

What variety of broad beans are they? Some will be taller than others.

G
            I fear no beer

Comment

I can't actually remember the name...but they're Crimson Flowered(could that possibly even be the name?)
              I'm sure there's no variety that's supposed to be this puny though
              I meant to take a piccie today but got so carried away giving them lunch I forgot...I used an all purpose feed,said it was OK for veg as well as flowers.Lets hope they pick up a bit,I planted a few more,so hopefully if they don't this last lot are in just in time.

Comment

pathetic broadies

Hi this is my first post so here goes!! I planted out my broad beans about two weeks ago as I originally sowed them in toilet rolls in the greenhouse, but they dont appear to be growing very much and a couple of them look pretty sickly.....any suggestions?? I have given them 2 lots of chempak leaf feed (no2 I think).....??? Thanks

Comment

I'm not sure Crimson Flowered are hardy enough to over-winter. I think Snadger was going to try it but they are not the usual variety to sow in autumn - that would be Aquadulce claudia. They only gert about 2 - 3 ft for me when spring sown. They've had it a bit rough this winter.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by charismatic View Post
                    Hi this is my first post so here goes!! I planted out my broad beans about two weeks ago as I originally sowed them in toilet rolls in the greenhouse, but they dont appear to be growing very much and a couple of them look pretty sickly.....any suggestions?? I have given them 2 lots of chempak leaf feed (no2 I think).....??? Thanks
                    You shouldn't really need to feed seedlings as they have all they need within the seed itself (the seeds of beans are very large anyway).

What compost did you use, a general multi-purpose compost should be sufficient for good growth. I'm not a fan of loo rolls for beans as they dry out fast. I prefer 3" pots which seem to work well.
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Thanks Mark. Just a general multi purpose. When do they stop being seedlings please? Mine are about 4 inches I guess....

Comment

Originally posted by charismatic View Post
                        Thanks Mark. Just a general multi purpose. When do they stop being seedlings please? Mine are about 4 inches I guess....
                        When they get a few true leaves, I suppose. At 4 inches after 2 weeks sounds pretty good growth to me. Why do you think they are sickly?
                        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X