Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for childrens garden in NE

Hello

my 4 yr old neice is pestering her mother to grow things and I am looking for a bit of advice. She wants to grow tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber. I can help her with the luttuce seeds and also will give her some tomatoes later in the year but I don't know anything about cucumbers(I hate the things)

Can anyone suggest something that can be grown in the north of england that probably don't need too much care. My sister doesn't grow anything and my neice has the idea form being in my garden last year. I am too far away to help regularly so need to give clear instructions and I expect them to be forgotten at times

I have done a strawberry pot for her which I thoink she will manage ok with some help, but she is a pretty adamant 4yr old who knows what she wants

Thanks for any advice, I am heading up north this weekend and would like to take a few seeds with me and help her get started.

Cheers
    helen

hi
    i have grown mini petitia successfully in north of england. ridge cucumbers would be best for a child because you don't need to remove any flowers or pollinate yourself.
    "Pollination
    Ridge (outdoor) cucumbers produce both male and female flowers. The female flowers need to be pollinated by the male flowers for cucumbers to develop. With ridge cucumbers, insects will do the job for you. Don't remove any flowers from ridge cucumbers. If the plants are being raised under cloches or poly tunnels make sure they are opened up in the warmer parts of the day to let insects get at the flowers."
    The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul.

- Alfred Austin

Comment

Thanks Milly2306 I will follow your advice.

I will have a read up on Ridge cucumbers now...she will grow them outside.

I am pretty new to gardening myself , so she will be keeping me on my toes

Comment

Hi Murphy, I'm growing some ridge cucs over the pergola, they are called Marketmore76.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ber_14584.html.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

oh dear I don't hold out much hope for the cucumbers having read up a little Oh well, nothing ventured I suppose

Can I grow them in a pot or grow bag in the same way I have grown courgettes?

just seen your post Bigmally so will look at this next. Thanks

Comment

How about a pumpkin?!?
            My daughter has successfully grown one originally in a cardboard tube, sat on the windowsill for ages with the odd sprinkle of water and now its 10" tall and has flowers (although it did need to have anew pot and be sat in a sunny position.)
            Your neice would love that I am sure and I believe (please correct me other grapes if wrong) they might be easier to grow than cues and much more impressive!!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion but it is her idea to grow the things she likes to eat!

I will give her choices a go and see what works and what doesn't I am sure she will enjoy whatever we manage to produce or not

I have ordered the cucumber seeds so will see how it goes, I think it will be more about the experience than anything.

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X