Pear Trees

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pear Trees

Hope someone can help me with this one. I bought an apple and pear tree at the same time. This year will be the second year the apple has produced fruit but as yet there is still no blossom on the pear. I was led to believe that pears blossom earlier than apple in which case there will be no more pears this year, or is it a question of the pear tree having to be more mature before it flowers, both trees are roughly three years old.

Many thanks
    Chris

Don't know much about fruit trees- BUT- I do have 3 espaliered pear trees. One is in full flower ( I think that is a Conference) , one is in leaf but no flowers- and the other is still in tight bud- with a few just starting to break open (no ID I'm afraid!).
    Do you know the variety?
    Sometimes it's better to flower later- less risk of frost damage!!!

I'd have presumed a 3 yr old pear would be flowering - but no idea really!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

As far as I know it is a Conference, apart from the lack of blossom it is a magnificently healthy looking tree full of leaf. It's so frustrating, I was especially careful with it this year to avoid adverse weather, never mind we shall have to wait and see:-)

Comment

Hi Chris
        I have a conference pear tree which I planted about 10 years ago this year.
        I cant remember the blossom year on year but I know the last 3 years I actually got some small unedible fruits. However last year it gave us our first real crop of full sized pears. We had over 14lbs off it last year. This years flowers are now forming and I expect they will soon be open.
        PS the tree was planted in heavy clay - and is now in the center of the lawn so never gets fed.
        Hope this helps - dont give up hope.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X