Not sure about climbing beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure about climbing beans?

I bought some climbing bean seeds to plant, which I did on 17/4/10 in small pots indoors. The instructions said plant April/May. It only took them 4 days to hatch out. They are now about 8 inches high. Is it too early to plant out, or should I wait. I was going to plant in tubs, will that be OK?

Where are you?

My Frenchies are outside (direct sown), but only just. You also need to harden them off for a week or two before they get planted outside permanently
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

What sort of beans are they, French or Runner (either can be climbers). Runners are a bit hardier and mine will probably go out permanently in a couple of weeks time with the French ones following a couple of weeks after that. As Two Sheds says, make sure they're well hardened off or they'll sulk.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

when hardening off can I leave them overnight in a plastic green house ... during the day outside or should I bring them back inside? I have put my first lot outside today for the first time. They have been in the conservatory but are getting a bit big and I would like the room on the windowsill to seed some more.

Comment

My hardening off porcess goes something like this:
          - Sow in modules inside the house as soon as possible
          - Move to the outdoor plastic greenhouse once they have sprouted and look healthy
          - Leave the front of the greenhouse open during the day until they look like they're big enough to plant out (at least 2 weeks)
          - Plant out if you're happy there aren't going to be any damaging frosts or if you feel like taking a risk.

My runners and dwarf french beans went out last Wednesday and Sunday respectively. They all look good and healthy now.
          Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
          Snadger - Director of Poetry
          RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
          Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
          Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
          piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I put them outside today , so will move them into the greenhouse tonight.

I may have kept them inside a little too long as they are pretty big already, hopefully they will do ok outside in the green house and won't sulk on being evicted from the warmth

cheers
            helen

Comment

It's not just night cold and frost that you have to harden them up against: it's the wind too. If you don't toughen up the stems a bit, they are likely to snap when you plant them out.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.My beans are runner ones, they are about 6-8 inches tall and look quite healthy. They have 2 large leaves and seem to be growing by the minute! Will I be able to grow in tubs or do I need to put in the garden? I don't have that much room so thought tubs may be OK.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X