compost for seed growing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compost for seed growing?

I've always bought whatever multi-purpose on offer at the garden centre for seed sowing but with the peat/no peat problem making me feel guilty i wondered if its ok to use home made compost for sowing.I've just finished the last of my bought multipurpose and want to set more seeds.
    i always use hone stuff once they've got a few leaves just didn't know if its suitable for starting them. I've a huge general compost heap that we use and also a horse manure heap ( just rotted droppings - no straw) and also some woodchip from the horse field that gets put near the entrance to help drainage, its over plastic surface and Muska ( the horse) for some reason always pees on it ?? so once that's too wet (and smelly) we make another heap with that. it all gets used on the garden, in the poly tunnel etc. at some point so clearly its ok for plants but what about seeds?
    which one would be best? I was thinking most likely would be some from the general heap - thats weeds, prunings and kitchen waste- but would like someone who knows abit more to advise. I could just buy some compost and use the home stuff so i've a fall back if it fails - if i'd thought before i'd have done it with the last lot of sowings. typical, always think of things like that to late

I mix general multipurpose compost with vericulite about 80-20 for seeds, seems to work on the whole

Comment

I think I am correct in saying (and I am sure if I'm not that the correction can be made) but home made compost is brilliant for plants, but not good for sowing seeds. It's too rich. I might have imagined that of course!! Sits back and waits for correction

Comment

Home made also hosts loads of seeds - unless you bake or microwave it - and then your kitchen will honk!

I buy peat-free multi for seed sowing.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Home-made leafmould is best for seed sowing: you can mix it with bought stuff to stretch it out.
          It does takes about 18 months to be ready to use though: and a large binliner full will rot down to about half a carrier bag full, so you need a lot.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

thanks - i'd a feeling it would be too strong too, one of thosthough with a two acre broadleaf woodland next door. How silly I hadn't thought of that - it'll be easy to just go and dig up what i need. problem solved. thanks for the help

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X