First Daffodils.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Daffodils.

I have a window box full of minature daffs that are in blossom about a week now. Just wondering am i the first?

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Bet you're not, bramble! Although you beat us here in the Midlands.

When I was at my sister's in Fareham at the weekend she took me to a big garden centre called Garston's in Titchfield where they have all sorts of goodies - I bought some 'locally grown' daffs which have brightened my lounge and remind me of a lovely weekend.

Also the 'flower miles' were very low - unlike the carnations flown in from S Africa on sale at the local supermarket!

Comment

Ive got tete ...... cant remember rest of the name on flower there really cheerfull

Comment

Don't think your first Bramble but you are early. Ugly Gourd your daffs are Tete a Tete (head to head) and they are lovely. My boxes of them are just about there, but not quite. Enjoy your daffs, they sure give that spring is here feeling. (very springlike here today with lovely sunshine).

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Ours in the front garden are up and in full bloom but it is south facing, the ones in the back garden wont be flowering for another month yet as it doesnt get the same amount of winter sun.

Comment

We've got a load of bulbs come up at the front of ours, a mixture of Daffs, Tulips and snowdrops. No flowers yet, but they're aching to!

It's our first "crop" so we're very excited the wife and I, like expectant parents!! Unfortunately they get very little sun at this time of year, which is why we planted them there to brighten up the darkness.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

We got our first Tete open this week, and first Iris Reticulata yesterday. We've had primroses and Limnanthes blooming all 'winter'
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Saw a loads of flowering Dafs the other day down one of the lanes hereabouts, but the ones in the plot arent quite ready to flower yet, unfortunately!

Havinbg said that we have got some lovely little pale blue flowers in the border of our second plot, they are definitely not bluebells, Mr D seems to think they are crocuses!
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                  Saw a loads of flowering Dafs the other day down one of the lanes hereabouts, but the ones in the plot arent quite ready to flower yet, unfortunately!

Havinbg said that we have got some lovely little pale blue flowers in the border of our second plot, they are definitely not bluebells, Mr D seems to think they are crocuses!
                  What shape are your pale blue flowers Mrs D? They could be anemone blanda, little daisy shaped flowers. Crocuses are cup-shaped with spiky leaves. I've got buds showing on the daffs, but have only seen one opened properly round here (in a garden - obviously shop-bought pots for indoors will be further on)

Comment

At present the flowers are vertical and not fully opened RL, about 4" tall, with the flowers being about 1 1/2", look to have similar flower structure to a tulip, tho as they arent fully open I'm not sure if they are crocuses or not!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Pretty sure they are crocuses, Mrs D

Comment

If they remind you of tulips it is a pretty fair bet that Dobby is right
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Cool! Thanks Shirl and RL! As you've probably guessed, identifying flowers is not one of my strongpoints! lol!
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

You are most welcome Mrs D. Just wish I had some in my garden to look forward to.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

I used to have lots of crocus in all colours and very lovely they were. Now I have hardly any. I think maybe the pesky squirrels dug some up but the ones I do have just come up and fall over . I think it is just too warm for them.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X