Identi-fly: Greenish short crane fly?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identi-fly: Greenish short crane fly?

Hi everyone. Long time, no post. We've just taken on an allotment, and myself and Mrs.Monk spent a few hours on thursday, planting out some brassica plugs. We filled the holes in with compost and patted them down.

The next evening I went to water them, and while I was in mid sprinkle, I noticed this fly emerge from a hole it had made in the compost next to a newly planted plug. It looked a bit like the shape of a crane fly, but it was about a third the size, seemed to have a very pale yellow/green body striped length ways. I looked up cabbage root fly, so I know its not one of those, but do any of you recognise the description as something harmful to the plants, because I saw quite few fllying around afterwards.

I'm not sure what they are, but if they are what I am thinking about, there has been loads around everywhere.
    I don't think they cause problems, but as I don't know what they are, I'm hardly an expert on it, am I?
    Last edited by womble; 27-05-2010, 10:59 AM.
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I feel a little silly posting back with this, but after a little digging (no pun intended) I think that my fly that looks like a small pale green crane fly, is a small pale green crane fly. I guess they could damage crops if the ground get infested with leatherjackets, but should be fine otherwise.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X