Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to grow my winter jasmine

Hello chaps

Not been on for a while but am back now I'm back in the garden swing of things.

I bought a winter jasmine in autumn last year. It's beautiful and gave us lovely yellow flowers for most of the winter.

Since spring finally broke it seems to have grown much more than we expected (a good thing) so I now need some advice on what to do with it.

Currently it's in a very big pot in the corner of the decking area. I was hoping to grow it up the wall of the house but I'm not sure it has the right right kind of spread for that, from a corner as training it one way only might be quite tricky.

So, shall I fashion some sort of support into the pot for it to grow around (if so what)? Or plant it at the front of the house and try to grow it up that way?
    Last edited by Pidge; 28-05-2010, 07:33 AM.

It doesn't really cling without support so it will flop over into a sort of arch at about 3' with nothing to grow up - it looks like yours is presently tied in to canes to stop it or it would be already. I've got a bit of net with about 5" squares stretched between two poles that's supporting it well. It's just weaves in and out and it's covered an entire fence panel 6'x6'. You could train it from the corner in one direction (ours is planted one end of the panel not the centre. You'd need wires or trellis to tie it in to/tuck it behind.

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
      It doesn't really cling without support so it will flop over into a sort of arch at about 3' with nothing to grow up - it looks like yours is presently tied in to canes to stop it or it would be already. I've got a bit of net with about 5" squares stretched between two poles that's supporting it well. It's just weaves in and out and it's covered an entire fence panel 6'x6'. You could train it from the corner in one direction (ours is planted one end of the panel not the centre. You'd need wires or trellis to tie it in to/tuck it behind.
      Yes, we bought it as a ready made plant, with canes and it's since doubled in size.

So can I train it to grow towards the wall in the picture and up, or shall I plant it perhaps in the middle of a fence and let it span left and right across the fence?

Maybe in the middle if this fence panel?

Preference would be to have it along the fall, but I'm not sure it's growing pattern would make that work?

Comment

It produces really long arching branches, when you prune it each branch splits and continues really long and a bit droopy. I think you could get it against the wall but it would need quite a few wires for support. The fence would be perfect as you could put strings between the posts/horizontals and tuck it behind to keep it fairly flat. If you wanted something self supporting with winter colour cottoneaster has lovely red berries and can be pruned to grow flat without being help up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X