No announcement yet.

Can you save my cucumber please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well I tried but I lost them, feeling a little sad now.
    Off I went to the garden centre and bought some more seeds maybe I will be third time lucky. Thankfully everything else is doing really well, the sunshine today cheered us all up.

Comment

I still think it's frost damage. They get a cold snap one night but the problem takes 2 or 3 days to show up, so people don't associate it with the frost.
      Last edited by Flummery; 16-05-2010, 08:18 AM.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have lost 3 cucumbers so far to what I am assuming to be root rot. I planted them in a growbag with grow pots, 3 to a bag. So far 1 died before I put them in the gowbag and 2 have died since putting in. The one yesterday went limp all of a sudden and the stem was rotted (about 1/2 cm under the compost) and was an orange colour and really soft.

The remaining cucumber seems fine (touch wood). Not sure what I am doing wrong, I water them when I put them in the growbag a few weeks ago and haven't since as the compost is still moist.

May buy a few more plants now as it is mid-may and cross my fingers

Comment

2 of them not too bad, one still looks iffy, heres a pic (not sure how to post pic but here goes)
          Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
          Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

Comment

Hmmm, where did it go?????????????
            Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.

Comment

I think Ive solved this problem. I did some research in a book and I dug up 1 cuc and found the problem was something called blackleg. The first inch of stem was withered and brown not fat and green like the rest. It said this is caused by overwatering when plant is young. Guilty yer honour. Solution - clip off any large limp or yellowing leaves,flowers or fruit, dust wound with sulphur, replant in a deep pot to leave at least 2 inches of good stem burried. Theyre looking fine and dandy, though obviously smaller . So, its been a setback, but not as long as resowing seed.

Comment

I moved this out of growing techniques so people can see it!
                WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I'm no expert, so I'm sure someone else will be along who can give far better advice, but from what I've read and understand, cucumber do not like a lot of water, they can suffer from root rot if they are over watered, so don't know if that could be the problem???
                  Rhian - complete novice, lots to learn

Comment

I had a feeling I had replied to this post, so checked my list of post in my profile, and I had, also quite a few others had posted. have these replies be lost?
                    In the end I think Sheikh sorted the problem, but it would be nice to know how his little cue's are doing.
                    Mr TK
                    Mr TK's blog:
                    http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
                    2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

cues

Sorry for butting into this thread but is it too late to start growing cucumbers...I have been saying I will get round to it...but...well...you know

Elaine x

Comment

Elaine,

It's not too late to start them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomatoking View Post
                          I had a feeling I had replied to this post, so checked my list of post in my profile, and I had, also quite a few others had posted. have these replies be lost?
                          In the end I think Sheikh sorted the problem, but it would be nice to know how his little cue's are doing.
                          Mr TK
                          Hi TK, yes some replys seem to have got lost in the move. Anyway, the lil darlins are bright eyed and bushy tailed and I think new roots must have formed. Lots of new leaves and flowers. No yellowy limp leaves. Glad I stuck with em and didnt bin em, they were real sick. Sulphur is good

Comment

Cheers Sheikh, I have had many sleepless nights worrying about the little blighters
                            Mr TK
                            Mr TK's blog:
                            http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
                            2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

I have merged these to avoid further confusion
                              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                                Elaine,

It's not too late to start them off.