No announcement yet.

Carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is my first year of carrots as well, and cos my ground is extremely stoney, i have grown them in a grow bag on its side. they got attacted by slugs early on, but thats stopped, and the ones i've pulled have been fine....could be longer, but i'm not complaining....i grew a carrot!! and rainbow ones at that....purple, yellow, white...very cool. i water them when i'm at the lottie, but cos they are outdoors...if its rained, i dont bother...i havent been molly coddelled!.
    Last edited by kiwirach; 10-08-2010, 06:32 AM.
    Finding Home

Comment

I wish I could grow carrots, I grew a tomato with a huge pointy nose & was gonna take a pic but forgot & had it in a sarney last night.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

My carrots & beetroot have been a waste of space this year but, to be fair, we have had no rain to speak of for the last 2 months & the ground is like a dust bath.
        I did grow some carrots in a container which were fine as I was able to keep them watered but it RAINED most of the night & is still raining so perhaps I'll have more luck with the ones I planted last week

Comment

Although it would have been nice to have a summer that lasted beyond June, we gardeners up here have had a good mix of sun and rain and things are growing well in my containers. I tried Jaune Obtuse de Doub carrots this year but they were a great disappointment; small and tasteless and the colour is a bit off-putting. Luckily I also grew the trusty Parmex; spherical orange carrots with a wonderful flavour. We have been eating them for a couple of months now. I shall not bother with any other variety next year!

Comment

First time I've grown carrots properly, I've grown mine in pots on the decking... pics attached - have done quite well. I do have a few Autum Giants I think in a square foot raised bed, and one of them looks very large... fingers crossed for that one!

I mixed some sand in the pots, with MPC. Shall be doing the same next year, handy just to pop out the back and pull a few at a time for dinner

edit: this variety is Early Nantes I think! Also growing Purple Haze, which are doing really well too.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by chris; 10-08-2010, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Have only pulled the Early Nantes and whatever the spherical ones I was given were ones and both are lovely although the spherical ones aren't spherical and are actually quite long - wondered if they'd gone down deeper to look for water. To be honest I prefer the shape they've chosen as they're much better for peeling.

Still have more of the above to eat and loads of Autumn King and Jaune Obtuse de Doub (which hopefully I'll like better than the person above) still in the ground atlhough the thinnings were very nice a bit back

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I always had trouble getting carrots to germinate in the soil so began starting them off in tubes made of paper and then just putting the germinated ones into the beds complete with the paper tubes. Now get great crops every time. Same can be done with parsnips.
                johntheeng

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X