Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leggy Seedlings

Hi,
    I've been sewing cabbages, caulis and sprouts in modules to plant out later. The thing is they are coming out really leggy. Is this normal or am i doing something wrong?
    thank you.

Where are you groing them Aid? Welcome to the Vine BTW
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

I've had a few leggy seedlings also but when they were big enough to handle, I repotted them a bit deeper into the new pot. If i remember all the advice right, things like brassicas will be okay as new root will form on the part of the stem that is now under the compost and thus stabilise the plant.
      I'm sure someone a bit more experienced than me will be along in a mo and advise further
      Kirsty.
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Aid, normally when seedings grow 'leggy' they are either 'too warm' or they have 'insufficient light' and therefore get 'stretched'.
        Nick will be able to explain it better for you.

Comment

You're both spot on.....

plants can become "leggy," the stems being elongated and limp, and the foliage sparse. Leggy seedlings usually occur due to insufficient lighting, too much heat, or too much fertilizer.

You can buy something called a Roottrainer which is an elongated pot, or just look in the yoghurt section of the supermarket....some pots are longer than others.
          Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

I've had the same problem twice. Last year I was using a general purpose compost, the seedlings were grown in trays in the shed. It's likely that light was the issue there. I thought it was the compost, so I swapped this year to John Innes No2 and put them by the window in a spare room, so I guess this time it's the heat. I have one of those small, three tier, plastic greenhouses. Should I just put the propogators in there?
            thanks for the advice btw.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X