any veggies grow in shade?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any veggies grow in shade?

hello everyone, I am new on here and also reasonably new to gardening and growing veg, though I did manage a few tomato and bean plants in pots last year.

anyway, this year I have taken over a bit of wasted space next to my house and have been busily building raised beds and filling with soil. however, I have another bit of space that is currently unused that I could fill, but it is in quite a lot of shade. it seems a shame not to use it, but I don't know what to fill it with. are there any vegetables that do OK in shaded areas?

Not sure about veggies, but my raspberries do much better in the shade than in the sun. They are in a pretty damp (not waterlogged) spot and seem to like this better than the dryer soil higher up the garden. I think you can also get away with strawberries in dappled shade, though you'd probably get better crops in a sunny spot.
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Not sure how much shade they like but my courgette plant last year was in a shaded position and did really well. They also get quite big so are good space fillers but if you are a newbie 1 or 2 plants is probably enough, you will get sick of them.

Comment

I understand that lettuce are partial to a bit of shade - but it's my first year and I know very little indeed! Clever grapes will be along later and will be able to advise, I'm sure!

Welcome to the vine, BTW, Willowstar!
        Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 08-03-2007, 10:26 AM.

Comment

thanks all...that gives me something to think about...especially the raspberries, I just assumed that they would be better in full sun but now I think about it I don't know why I thought that. thanks for the advice

Comment

Hazel you seem to know loads for saying its your first year! Did you swallow a gardening encyclopedia?

Chervil prefers dappled shade - very tasty.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
              Hazel you seem to know loads for saying its your first year! Did you swallow a gardening encyclopedia?
              Ha ha - thankyou sbp! Just like the sound of my own voice! I am a sucker for gardening books, tho' ....spent 20 mins in WHS earlier browsing through a brand new one by DK called 'veg growing in small gardens' (or similiar) reduced from £6.99 to £4.99.....I was tempted!
              Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 08-03-2007, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I'm always tempted by books - especially if they have bright pictures!

Did you see the Book People free p&p thread on the 'Recommendations' forum?
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Never tried it but Kale is another

Comment

thanks, I really like kale so will probably give that a go. cheers all

Comment

Hi
                      I am also new, but got a bit of advice I found from somewhere:
                      Try growing some shade tolerant vegetables (shade for more than half a
                      day) like beetroot, 'Bolthardy', calabrese, kale, kohl rabi, lettuce -
                      little gem. Also radish, spinach and herbs - chives, mint and parsley
                      are all shade tolerant. Fruit such as raspberries, blackcurrants,
                      gooseberry and rhubarb are plants of the woodland edge and will thrive
                      in this environment.
                      As you can imagine that didn't come from between my ears! Also that was based on a space under a cherry tree. Hope it helps!

Comment

Russian Comfrey doesn't mind a bit of shade...you can eat it, but its most useful for attracting bees and producing mulch/fertiliser
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Russian Comfrey doesn't mind a bit of shade...you can eat it, but it.......
                          ..... tastes like sh*t!!!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

we have a rhubarb plant in a very shady spot in the garden, moist too and it was huge last year.

I did try to grow a courgette plant in a semi shaded area last year and had very little off it, probably 2 or 3 courgettes, the rest never got to any usable size before they started rotting then whole plant got downy mildew

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                              we have a rhubarb plant in a very shady spot in the garden, moist too and it was huge last year.
                              (
                              Me too. Had to nowhere else to put it, but seems very happy.
                              All at once I hear your voice
                              And time just slips away
                              Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X