Vermiculite as seed covering..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
    I tend to use it for most of my seeds but especially those that are in a propagator, seems to stop the damping off problem
    I have to say it makes your pots look pretty too
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I usually cover newly sown seeds with vermiculite, it does help stop dampening off.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I never use it. I had some idea (though I can't remember where I got it from) that the mining of the stuff left a lot to be desired. As I don't need it, I don't use it. Stuff comes up anyway!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          I had some idea (though I can't remember where I got it from) that the mining of the stuff left a lot to be desired.
          Used to be associated with mining Asbestos (although that might be Perlite, haven't double checked), and the miners were at risk. Supposedly not the case any more, but ... its still a finite non-renewable resource.

edit Yes, it was Vermiculite

Vermiculite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Last edited by Kristen; 26-01-2011, 10:01 AM.
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
            Used to be associated with mining Asbestos (although that might be Perlite, haven't double checked), and the miners were at risk. Supposedly not the case any more, but ... its still a finite non-renewable resource.

edit Yes, it was Vermiculite

Vermiculite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            WAS being the operative word...

Vermiculite mines throughout the world are now regularly tested for it and are supposed to sell products that contain no asbestos. The former vermiculite mine in Libby, Montana, did have tremolite asbestos as well as winchite and richterite (both fibrous amphiboles) — in fact, it was formed underground through essentially the same geologic processes as the contaminants. A vermiculite mine in Virginia has also been found to be contaminated by asbestos.[6]
            Pure vermiculite does not contain asbestos and is non-toxic, but it can become contaminated over long periods if there is a presence of a secondary mineral called diopside. After millions of years of weathering, the biotite turns into vermiculite and the diopside turns into asbestos.

I think its great for stopping the surface of seed compost getting too damp and causing damping off of seedlings.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

And I still think you don't need it. I've never used it and I don't get any germination or growth problems.

Comment

You are probably right. Most of the stuff I sow germinates as soon as my back is turned ...

But for things that I have grown in the past, before I used Vermiculite, that took longer to germinate the surface went green and germination was poor - dunno if Vermiculite would have made any difference, but next time I have some slow-germinators to do I'll do a half-and-half test
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I suspect I'm just an idle beggar but I always try to do things the simplest way first!

Comment

Originally posted by andyturner1978 View Post
                    Is this the same as perlite? Is it a case of simply laying the seeds ontop of the compost and then the vermiculite before watering in?
                    Mmm, no they are different because I had a choice when I went to the garden centre. vermiculite is for seeds and seedlings and I think perlite is for cuttings?...

One is made from a mineral which is 'popcorned' if my memory serves me right. This creates a light, absorbent granule...

Thanks for your answers folks, some very detailed!

JM
                    Last edited by jessmorris; 27-01-2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

could not agree more!

Originally posted by oldie View Post
                      Usually get mine from Wilko's. Much cheaper than Garden Superstore marginally cheaper than Hydroponics.
                      I get mine from there as well in fact end of last season they started selling it off for pretty silly cheap prices I took as much as I had arms to carry for did it the year before as well I always mix the two with my composts I really rate them both very highly indeed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X