Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulching Question

Hi,
    Can I ask a question that has been puzzling me but I've been afraid to ask for fear of looking silly?
    If I mulch my borders with bark to retain moisture, how do I then water them? Do I just water onto the mulch or do I have to move it and then cover it over the soil again when I've watered?

The water will go through the mulch to the soil below. I think the reason mulch help to keep soil moist is down water being slow to evaporate from the surface.

PS welcome to the vine.
    Last edited by Digger-07; 14-03-2007, 06:06 PM.
    Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Cheers for the welcome Digger!

Comment

Hi BPP,

Whatever you do don't be frightened to ask we don't bite ( apart from LJ but she doesn't have her teeth in on wednesdays )

If you ask you appear folish for a moment if you don't you are foolish for life

Digger is spot on with the answer, it slows down evapouration. Make sure you use composted bark though, if you put it on "green" it will rob nitrogen out of the soil till it breaks down ( can be a couple of years).

If it's some prunings you've shredded simply mix them in an old compost bag with 6ozs of ammonium nitrate moisten & tie the bag up and forget it for 12 months, it will break down in no time.
        Last edited by nick the grief; 14-03-2007, 06:57 PM.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Welcome BigPotPlant! Never be fightened to ask questions - we all do!
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Oh, and make sure you put your mulch on well wet soil....not on dry soil
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X