No announcement yet.

Growing onions for the first time!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read ages ago not to push sets directly into the gound as it damages the base where the roots come from, so i start them off in the greenhouse in last years tomato compost in those plastic 15 module trays and plant out the lot in spring when the soil is warmer.
    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
      I read ages ago not to push sets directly into the gound as it damages the base where the roots come from, so i start them off in the greenhouse in last years tomato compost in those plastic 15 module trays and plant out the lot in spring when the soil is warmer.
      Oh interesting, thank you.

Comment

I've started some of mine in modules like this to give them a head start in case the winter weather damages them. I'd highly recommend it if you have the space in your GH over the winter.
        My 2014 No Dig Allotment
        My 2013 No Dig Allotment
        My 2012 No Dig Allotment
        My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazgaot View Post
          I've started some of mine in modules like this to give them a head start in case the winter weather damages them. I'd highly recommend it if you have the space in your GH over the winter.
          Haven't yet got a GH (working on the hubby though for one!).
          I'm only a couple years in to all this so he wanted to make sure I stuck with it before we bought one, but I have the bug now!
          I only have my sunny utility/windowsills & a new cold frame at the moment (still to put together) but I'm sure I could still start them off ok in here, I mananged fine last year with everything although a GH would be so much easier, all I can do is try!.
          Last edited by Furny; 02-03-2011, 06:14 AM.

Comment

*It's not usually birds that pull onions out - as it happens when they are in modules or pots in greenhouses; it's the roots growing down that pushes them out. It's when the soil is a little too firm.

Although in my garden all sorts of wildlife dig them up, pushes them around as we are next to a canal - but sometimes the birds are blamed when they are innocent of all charges.
            Last edited by zazen999; 02-03-2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Zazan maybe I should have used the word wildlife as I had just assumed it would be birds. But what ever it is it seems the fleece deters the little beggers.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well a bit of an update & I just had to tell someone!.
                After talking to you all yesterday about Greenhouses I was looking at them online & my son (5) asked me what I was looking at & why so I explained all about them & said " I'd really like one but they cost lots of pennys".
                It was a lovely day so we walked up to our local market on the way we passed a lady who we didn't know who was gardening,
                " Morning" shouts my son (a chatterbox) so she stopped to talk him for a while, in conversation he suddenly says-
                " You have a greenhouse, my mummy would like one of them but she says they cost lots of pennys" he said pointing to her greenhouse
                " Well I'm selling it for £25 if you want it love" she said
                I could not believe it! her health is letting her down so unfortunately she is having to give up doing as much and she said we'd be doing her a favour getting rid of it so she doesn't have to faff around advertising & she is very happy it is going to someone young & with children.
                It's 8 x 4 & in great condition so she is ringing me in May to go collect it (she still has some flowers in it shes propogating) & said she's given her word & will not offer it to anyone else!.
                It was such a strange coincidence who says "Children should be seen & not heared"!! So I am very,very happy!, hubby can't understand what all the fuss is about!
                Oh & walking round the market a flower/plant seller was selling shalott sets so I bought some Golden Gourmet to try!. It was one successful day!:
                P.s I'm going to take her some flowers & veg round when they have grown & get my son her make her a card.
                Last edited by Furny; 03-03-2011, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Furny,

What great news just proves they are still some nice people in this world.

Mind you she would be nice she is after all a gardener and therefore much more relaxed and in tune with her world.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

POTSTUBSDUSTBINS- Yes, She was a lovely lady.

Thinking ahead what fertiliser is good for my onions & shalotts?, will they be ok with a general ( I have Phostrogen- All purpose & Vitax- Growmore in my shed) or from reading up they seem to like Blood,Fish & Bone in general would this better, what did you try?
                    I have tried to look it up but nearly all the info about feeding them refers to them in the ground/soil & mine will be in compost in containers.
                    Thanks in advance.
                    Last edited by Furny; 04-03-2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

When should I plant them?

Hope you don't mind me asking when would be best to plant the baron sets in containers? the pack says Feb- April but is it too cold at the moment (I don't have my greenhouse yet but do have a coldframe!) also when would also be best to plant the shallots (Golden Gourmet) ???.
                      I really appreciate any help.
                      Last edited by Furny; 06-03-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Furny, It all depends on what your local conditions are I was going to put some down to day but our local forecast gave upto 5` of frost over the next 2 nights so shall hold off until next weekend and hope for better things.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

POTSTUBSDUSTBINS- Thank You . Weather still quite chilly & chance of frost here so I shall probably hold off!.

Comment

Onions are of course quite hardy but as we go in pots we only get one shot at it so in my opinion a few days delay is worth it.

Must say though I am getting very itchy fingers.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                              Onions are of course quite hardy but as we go in pots we only get one shot at it so in my opinion a few days delay is worth it.

Colin
                              Thats my train of thought too Mine are happily living in the unheated greenhouse which at its lowest in the night is 3c so i'm looking at putting them out on Tuesday when after then the night time temps 3c/6c/2c/and 4c with day time clear skies. Will probably use the fleece i brought for the carrots though to help their roots dig in.
                              www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Hmm, watched the new Amateur Gardener programme yesterday where the lady started the onions off in toilet rolls of compost to establish the roots (like lazgot mentioned) then placed in the grenhouse & planted the whole thing out when the soil had warmed up. I'm thinking of doing this, I have an extension where they could sit in there trays. (both bathroom bins been raided for toilet rolls) I supppose you do the same with shallots?.

But I know what you mean POTSTUBSDUSTBINS I have itchy fingers too, I keep looking at them in there little bag/net & I feel sorry for them.

Yes CHEF UK I think mine may need a little cover too when they go out.
                                Still just had a frosty night here in North Yorkshire last night.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X