Cauliflower germination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cauliflower germination

I've got two different varieties of seeds for cauliflower: Violet Queen and "All The Year Round" (the year round was a free sample from Thompson & Morgan when I placed quite a large order).

The instructions on the packets don't seem to be all that clear and I can't work out the best way to get them to germinate, as I've had no success so far. I tried one load in a normal tray in the kitchen, and another (only a few days ago, to be fair) in a pot sealed in a plastic bag. The packets do say that germination takes 4-10 days.

Any advice?

I germinated some All the Year Round in a cold greenhouse last October in plain seed trays with a basic plastic cover. Just used normal compost with a thin scatter on top. They germinated no probs and I thinned them out, into individual pots and grew on until the other week when I've planted some of them out under cloches, seem to be doing OK so far but am sure they'll be decimated by slugs any day!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. I've never had problems germinating cauliflowers. The only thing I can think of is wether they are getting enough light and water... or maybe too much water? I water mine when the compost is starting to look a bit dry-ish.

Comment

I just put my all year round cauliflower in a un heated proprgator then when they started to come up keep the lid of or they get too leggy I used mirical grow compost
        Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
        Dobby

Comment

I germinated my all year round in small pots and they came through really quickly - just on a table in front of a sunny window. Managed to bring a slug in in the compost without realising and soon the caulis were no more. Mind you when I found the slug it didn't last long either!!

I set some more for my 2nd attempt last week so hopefully they will be more successful this time.

Good luck with yours
          Clare

Comment

Originally posted by clarelouise4 View Post
            Mind you when I found the slug it didn't last long either!!

Good luck with yours
            Clare
            What did it taste like?!!

Comment

Lovely in a casserole with plenty of herbs !!!!

Comment

Please make sure your compost is not too wet. Wet equals cold and rot. I've always found that cabbage and caulis germinate well on the kitchen windowsill. I sow mine in a 3 and a half inch half-pot, and when they germinate prick them out into individual cell trays.

Comment

Yo NGG, Have patience. Seeds can't read. To quote the nursery rhyme - leave them alone and they'll come home wagging their tails behind them. Warm and moist me duck, warm and moist. Everything grows in that.
                  http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X