Davem - Help. Leggy Seedlings!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davem - Help. Leggy Seedlings!

It's quite simple really. When I sow seeds into small trays and start them off in my heated propagator they ( usually ) start to grow. As soon as they appear I remove the trays from the propagator and place them in a well-lit position on windowsill. This is when things start going wrong ! The seedlings usually bolt and become 'leggy' and the problem only worsens by turning the trays around. This can be handled by replanting seedlings deeper into other cells although there may be tendency to bolt again.
    Simple problem but very annoying which I have researched in all the books I have . Do you have a simple solution ?

Hi and welcome to the Vine Davem.

Not really sure about your query. What are you growing?

I have noticed that seedlings grow quite rapidly in the first few days after appearing so not sure if that is what you are experiencing. Otherwise, it might just be too early to be sowing things.

I am sure there will be grapes with far more experience along to advise you soon though. Best of luck.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Hi DaveM, welcome.
      Seeds usually go leggy when they are looking for light. Which way do your windowsills face? North is worst, south or west best. You say it's a well lit position, but is that direct light or not as that could make a difference. Winter daylight hours are not always long enough for some plants and it might be better to wait a bit and put things straight in the ground.

I'm sure other more experienced grapes will be along with better advice soon.
      Good luck.
      Last edited by madderbat; 15-03-2007, 08:06 PM. Reason: delete quote

Comment

I am growing cauliflower (Mayflower) and now is the time for planting indoors. as well as other brassicas (cabbage and broccoli). The window is southfacing and I turn the trays around daily to ensure equal lighting. Don't get me wrong - I do this every year and usually have to replant the seedlings deeper into single cells to take up the lengthened stems in trays later and they do OK generally. I just wondered If anyone has an easy solution to this. Reading around the comments ( I am a virgin here!) others seem to have the same prob.
        Anway ty fr the replies.

Comment

Hi DaveM
          Could be that you just have some duff seed ? Hope things improve for you.

Comment

My thoughts are that maybe it's just too warm on the south facing windowsill.
            It's a bit of a toss up between enough light and not too much heat.
            Is the room heated too?
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it Dave if you always manage to grow the plants in the end. I think it's probably to do with them being on a windowsill & stretching to reach the light , lots of mine do the same.Probably the only way to avoid it is to sow things in a nice heated greenhouse if you have one (I don't), or try & fix up a reflective tin-foil screen around the back of the tray /pot of seedlings to reflect the light onto them from all angles.
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Don't mean to sound picky...;-)
                But bolting means going to seed. They're not doing that are they? Just shooting up towards the light?
                I wouldn't bother with a heated propagator, I think it is spoiling them. Just use that for more 'tropical' crops like chillies, peppers, tomatoes. Hardy stuff like brassica doesn't need the extra heat. Treat them mean, keep them keen!
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X