Help digging out weeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help digging out weeds

I was digging my plot this afternoon in the sunshine.....very nice indeed. ..and having covered the bed for many months with membrane I was thrilled that there was only bindweed roots and couch grass to actually dig out compared to what it looked like when I first covered it. Anyway my question is, the couch grass was comming up in big clods with its shallow thread like roots, there was a lot of soil clinging to the clods and I was trying to shake as much off as I could. The tiny thread roots came away too..can couch grass regrow from these smal threads? would I be better to dispose of it as big clods rather than shaking off the soil? I intend to bring my 'bad roots' trug home and just put it in the green council wheelie bin as I don't want to risk it on my own compost heap.
    What do people think, should I err on the side of caution and not try to save any of the soil?
    thanks for reading my post.
    Helen
    May all our seeds germinate and grow

Helen

Hi Helen
    Never found the thread roots to be a problem, just the ones that are about the thickness of a worm. As for the thich stuff, I usually keep them in an empty compost bag until there's enough for a fire, empty the bag, put a match to it and use the ash on the plot. And before anyone shouts, I don't burn the plastic!
    http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Helen
      I agree with Norm about the couch roots, being an expert on them after digging my way through what seems like acres of the stuff. However I do find other quite thready roots, not the hair like roots but very thin floppy white ones - about half spaghetti width, that look as if they are about to grow into another mound of couch grass so I get rid of those as well.
      Sue

Comment

I prefer not to send anything to landfill if I can help it (do you REALLY think your council recycles your waste???!!!)
        you can kill these roots by burning (and release CO2 etc) or by drowning. Stick them all in a water butt for a few months to rot - you'll know when its ready cos it stinks...lovely good fertiliser it is, and free to boot
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi two sheds,
          Yes I am confident that here in High Wycombe my contents of the green bin are turned into compost as we have a huge industrial composting site that I have visited and had read up on. I have also used the green waste compost on my plot.....it gets so hot that it destroys even bind weed. I didn't have any weeds come up where I used it. The problem with the composting site it the strong smell, the council is investing loads in trying to alleviate the odour problem.
          May all our seeds germinate and grow

Helen

Comment

Dear all,
            As a Councillor, I can assure everyone that if your local council says that the green waste is going to be composted, that's exactly where it goes. The wrath of HMG on a council for not doing what they say they're doing is financially crippling
            http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X