Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello everyone!

This is the 3rd year that I've had my allotment and I still feel like a complete novice but I'm learning day by day and would be grateful for any help and advice. I'm a vegan and especially love growing all kinds of squashes amongst other things. I'd really like to try growing peas this year which I've never done before - am I too late already?

I'm the only woman on the site where my allotment is and the men (who are all retired) have been quite kind but I think they're waiting for me to give up which I will never, never do. They all refer to me as 'girl' - I'm 38 on Friday! Am getting a little greenhouse for my birthday - haven't been this excited in years

Anyway, thanks very much!

Bright blessings
    SM

Good to hear from you, there's loads of people here who can give you really good advice as well as quite a few non-gardening threads. Generally pretty friendly.

Re the peas, you can still plant them no problems - I usually put my last lot in about May time and they still come up no problems. I've done a winter sowing this year for the first time but not sure it's been very successful as they've been wind and rain battered that much that I'm not sure they will crop any earlier than a spring sowing. Maybe should have given them a bit more protection.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi squash muppet,

Welcome to the vine, you will be fine with your peas. I am not putting mine in until after I am back from holiday (early April)

You will get plenty of help and laughs on here and will be showing the old guys how it is done in no time

Happy new greenhouse and birthday on Friday.

Mandy

Comment

Hi Squash Muppet, great name! I haven't planted my main peas yet, it's not too late, some people plant them very early and overwinter the young plants but it seems the yield is never as big as the ones planted in the spring when the weather warms up a bit. Don't worry about those old guys, but it would be handy to be able to get advice from them so don't ignore them completely! Hope you continue to enjoy your lottie and your new greenhouse.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Yay, just became a tuber!!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Thanks all for your messages - it's great to have somewhere to talk about everything lottie related. I bore my husband rigid with tales from my allotment!

Great to know I'm not too late for peas.

Bright blessings.

Squash Muppet
            Last edited by Squash Muppet; 19-03-2007, 12:42 PM. Reason: Something

Comment

Hi Squash Muppet and welcome. Enjoy your time here. It's mad but full of great advice and info. Very friendly too.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hi Squash Muppet & welcome. Hope everything grows for you & you enjoy your peas, as eveyone says you've plenty of time to start them off yet.
                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hello Squash Muppet! I think you know the answer to the peas question by now! You never finish learning about gardening however long you've been doing it. I've been growing veg for years (and years ...) but I've still picked up loads of tips here. The main thing is, don't be shy - if you need to know something ask and don't be shy if you know the answer - tell us. It's all about sharing.

Flum
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Flummery

Yep, I've learned a lot about peas today which is great and I can't wait to get started now. Thanks so much for posting - it's great to be amongst so many like-minded people.

Bright blessings
                    Squash Muppet

Comment

Hi SM, a warm welcome to the madhouse, hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us grapes do!

We've not started planting our peas yet, hoping to start them in some peat pots this weekend (we have field mice all over the area around our plot, so would rather plant them as plants than as peas, less risk of them being eaten), then plant them out once the weather has improved a bit!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Hello Squash Muppet, hope you enjoy this site. The old boys on the allotment may sound a little patronising, but believe me they can come up with some good advice for local conditions, and also lots of free plants or seedlings. Be nice and bite your tongue! It's worth it. I'm 57 years young and still get called "girl" by some of them, but I've been given loads of seedlings and a couple of barrowloads of stable manure.

Comment

Nice to meet you Squash Muppet, find a comfy seat and be prepared - this place gets to you! Hope you enjoy it here as much as the rest of us.
                          Look forward to seeing you around

Comment

Welcome and enjoy.

Comment

Like the new avatar, PW. Very colourful.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X