Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for some time and reading the informative posts which have helped me no end.

I got my allotment at the back end of last year and have struggled to clear the overgrown plot. Now I am getting there and finally have my first veggie planted (broads) which I've had to cover because of the frosts.

I hope in time to be able to contribute but for now I just want to introduce myself to you all. I have started a blog as below so feel free to check it out, not much there yet but a couple of early pictures.

So far this year I have planted broads which I started in my plastic greenhouse, they are growing nicely after putting them out last week.

In the greenhouse I have Cauli's, Broccoli, onions (though have sets coming so may not use), leeks and sunflowers for colour. My Tomato seeds have not shown at all so I think it may have been too cold for them. Will try again but indoors this time This week I wanted to plant Parsnips but its simply too cold to expect them to germinate.

As I said it's been nice reading the posts here and hepofully, time willing, I can glean lots of info from you all...

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

just thought i'd say welcome & if there's anything you need to know there's always someone with an answer or suggestion, most of all enjoy
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Sebbster.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Hi Sebbster,

Welcome to the vine, loads of great advice and laughs on here. Don't be affraid to ask even if it sounds silly, it won't be.

I would bare with the toms mine took 3 weeks to show but are now doing nicley.

Your plot looks great and very weed free, I only have a garden for growing which took me ages to clear but worth every aching joint.

Have fun and grow loads, Mandy

Comment

Mandy, it is a little deceiving, the top end of the plot is full of perennials still so needs alot of work. Still I know it will take time will work two thirds of it while I clear the rest.

Hopefully I wont ask anything too daft

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

Think that your toms would find it too cold to germinate if they're only in a plastic greenhouse but should get off to a good start if you bring them in the house - if you want to give them a good start I find that putting a small freezer bag over the top to act as a proporgator helps. When they start coming through make sure they're in plenty of light (sunny window sill etc) so that they don't go leggy, pot on when they outgrow their initial pot and you'll have great plants to put out come the summer. Oh and by the way, good to meet you!!!!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hello And Welcome ,
              ---) CARL (----
              ILFRACOMBE
              NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Hello Sebbster

Wow - your lottie looks great! You've obviously worked really hard. I'm a newbie and am learning every day but if there's anything I can help with I will!

Happy sowing and growing.

Squash Muppet

Comment

Hi, Sebbster, nice to meet you. I've not been here long myself but have been growing veg for more years that I like to admit! You seem to have things organised (looked at your blog) so things should go well. I always start my toms off on the kitchen windowsill in March. With that extra bit of warmth they started to come though in 6 days. I have an unheated greenhouse but all it has in at the moment are salad things - mixed lettuce, raddish and spring onions. I keep encouraging them every day but they're not big enough to eat yet!

Just remember there's no such thing as a daft question and there's unsually no such things as a definitive answer. There are always several ways of doing things.

And Nature is very forgiving!

Cheers,

Flum
                  Last edited by Flummery; 19-03-2007, 04:08 PM.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Welcome Sebbster, glad you are brave enough to join us. Hope it helps, but watch out for 'Vine Addiction' - after a bit you won't be able to get off!

Comment

Hi Sebbster, and a warm welcome to the madhouse! Hope you enjoy yourself as much as the rest of the grapes do!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Hi Sebbster,

enjoy your time on here and just remember to log off occasionally to sleep and eat. Welcome.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X