Is anyone else running out of space?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone else running out of space?!

It's my first year of growing my own, and as far as possible I'm doing successional planting so I'm just planting a few of each thing every weekend so that the growing will all be staggered.

I'm running out of windowsill space! Half the available surfaces in the kitchen are taken up by seed trays and pots and I haven't even planted even half of what I need to plant! Obviously they'll go outside eventually but not just yet...

Where am I going to put them all?!

Please tell me I'm not the only person with this problem!
    Last edited by newgardengirl; 21-03-2007, 09:49 AM.

I am about to evict the bar stools from the breakfast bar and put a shelving system there to hold all the seed trays that I need to get sown. This is OH's fault for not building my greenhouse. (Actually, he hasn't been home long enough with good weather to do it). Other than that - do you have any bedroom windowsills that could be hijacked?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

No me too, I have used every window sill work surface or even floor if it gets the light.

On another thread someone has even used there ironing board, best use for it and a great idea!

Happy growing, Mandy

Comment

Hello Gardengirl, what are you growing ? The weather should be warmer after tomorrow. Can any of your plants go outside and just be brought in at night for a few days, then left out with fleece. Depends what your growing. I try to get things outside asap as you get much sturdier plants.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I have my littlest seeds and tenderest seedlings on our foldaway camping table in the spare room

Some of the larger plants have been moved to the kitchen (much cooler than the upstairs)

My peas and little gems are in propagators in the unheated greenhouse (covered in fleece also at night)

As my plants get bigger they get moved downstairs and then to the g/house, with new seeds going into the upstairs of the house

(Still running out of room though!!)

Comment

Every windowsil that gets any sunlight is being used, as is the ironing board and some 'cages' that Mr D 'liberated' from the skip at work, they've been stood on end and are making some lovely wire shelving in the back bedroom at the moment, but they are also pretty full!

The staging in the greenhouse also has plants on it too! Cant wait for the frost risk to pass, we've got tomato plants with flowers on at about 15" tall in the kitchen windowsil!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

One of the problems down here is that the type of house I have doesn't have window sills so everything has to go close to the windows in the shed or stay in the cold frames. But the fleece keeps the seedlings warm enough and despite the on/off weather this week, the stuff that's in situ is coming along really well still.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I've got two Greenhouses full !! Must get cracking with the polytunnel I think !
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

My poor OH has constructed me a large table type thing which is sitting in front of our south facing bedroom window absolutely full. The kitchen windowsill is full and I'm about to start taking over all the others. The hall table is full of chitting potatoes. Just working out how to broach the idea of an extension to his table construction. Maybe some beer will help him absorb the idea.

On the upside even he has started to look longingly at polytunnel adverts - here's hoping.

Clare

Comment

I've got plants everywhere! In the bedroom, living room, kitchen and even the loo, I've got a large propagator on my desk so my keyboard is crammed to the very edge, there's a propagator on top of the fridge which has to be moved everytime I use the microwave, had to take the rice cooker and dehydrator out of the kitchen, got about a square foot to cook in and there are still more to come.
                    The greenhouse is full as well.... hopefully only another month and some of the flowers can be planted out and free up some space.
                    Sue

Comment

Ooops! methinks I'm way behind here! mind you, can't grow things in the house, the cats would eat them! going to get cracking in the greenhouse this weekend - but at least I'm still 6 weeks ahead of last year! LOL Bernie aka Dexterdog
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

same situation here, just off down to B&Q to get some struts to put some shelving up in a corner where there is plenty of light but no surfaces to put anything, so by the end of today I will have 3 more small surfaces to put my little plants on! excellent as I really have run out of room everywhere else and I am about to sow more seed this weekend.

Comment

DDL
                          Last year was the first time I had ever grown seeds and learned how much of a pain cats were, curiousity and clumsiness being two of the problems. This year I invested in some unheated propagators so my seedlings are all safe under their lids.
                          Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X