Congratulations Eternal Sunshine!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations Eternal Sunshine!

Hi Eternal Sunshine - Just wanted to say congratulations and well done on getting your lottie! I'm so pleased for you! Like you say, sometimes the keep "popping down and saying hello" approach works! Well done! Bernie aka Dexterodg
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
    Hi Eternal Sunshine - Just wanted to say congratulations and well done on getting your lottie! I'm so pleased for you! Like you say, sometimes the keep "popping down and saying hello" approach works! Well done! Bernie aka Dexterodg
    It's so exciting!!! Went down there yesterday to have a chat with the man who runs the allotments, and he must have liked me coz last night he rang & said there's a plot if we want it. (I said yes immediately of course )

It's the Valley Road site, just adjacent to Dexterdog's allotment site, so we should be able to keep in touch & check out each others allotments often.

Been to see the site today & it resembles an overgrown rubbish tip! There's rather a lot of work to do there, it's a bit daunting actually but OH and I will give it a good go.

I'm still smiling from ear to ear!
    I've had my weetabix...

Comment

New Allotment!!!

Has anyone any advice on the best way to cope with a thick carpet of couch grass, buttercups, nettles & dock leaves? Should we just "cut" the top layer off & discard it, or keep it somewhere to break down & be used at a later date?

I'll see if I can manage to upload some photos of the plot.
      Last edited by Eternal Sunshine; 25-03-2007, 11:45 PM.
      I've had my weetabix...

Comment

Nope - I'm a bit rubbish when it comes to computers.... The file is too big & not sure how to resize it. Will have to get Ali my OH to do it for me.
        I've had my weetabix...

Comment

Hope springs Eternal!!! Had to say that, but no idea of what it means .
          Good luck with your plot, we've all been there, docks ,thistles and couch grass I mean.
          There's numerous ways to tackle them and loads of info on the vine! Your plan sounds like a good one, after all its all organic matter and when composted will help to enrich the soil! No roots or seed heads though!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Congratulations and good luck with it. At least you have DDL close by to give advice.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Thank you for your vote of confidence shirlthegirl! I'm not sure that I'm qualified to give advice, but I can always give my suggestions! Bernie aka Dexterdog
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Congratulations - It's a great feeling isn't it Eternal Sunshine

Dig and weed, dig and weed is the only answer I know for couch grass, and I'm no expert
                Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Yes, I think it's going to be the diggign & weeding method! But will probably take a layer of the top off as the weeds & grass are in such a thick matted mess.

I got a wheelbarrow off Freecycle yesterday, so that's one thing out of the way. Can't wait to get really started on it. Been working nights this week so not done anything on the allotment yet. (I'm just waiting to take my youngest to school now then I can get some sleep!) This weekend I should have lots of time though - wonder what the weather's going to be like?

DDL - I'm sure you'll have loads of advice for us - and we can compare notes over a flask of coffee as we're only 5 mins away.
                  I've had my weetabix...

Comment

Here's some photos of our new allotment...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Eternal Sunshine; 31-03-2007, 09:05 PM.
                    I've had my weetabix...

Comment

Today Dexterdog came to look at our new allotment and brought some gifts - potatoes, a large section of black plastic, books & photocopied info & the offer of loads of cardboard from her OH. : What a star!

Thank you so much DDL - when you arrived I had been staring at the overgrown plot & walking round overawed. You made me feel much better about it - we covered one area with the plastic and cleared a top layer of weeds off one section after you'd gone. Now we've made a start it all seems a bit more manageable.

Thanks for the explanation on uploading photos - as you can see in the previous post they're only thumbnails - will have a play about & see if I can make them bigger.

I've had my weetabix...

Comment

Here's some photos of my youngest daughter, Sophie, cutting the first sod of earth on the allotment. She's very keen to have her own section. And also one of me with foot on spade looking rather happy if a little daunted....
                        Attached Files
                        I've had my weetabix...

Comment

Eternal Sunshine it sounds as if you had a good day!

The photos are the correct size for the Grapevine. Read Bens thread Please Read Before Posting in The Fruit And Vegetable Showcase. This is all about posting photos.
                          [

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
                            Here's some photos of my youngest daughter, Sophie, cutting the first sod of earth on the allotment. She's very keen to have her own section. And also one of me with foot on spade looking rather happy if a little daunted....
                            Congratulations ES - looks like you have made a great start.

I'm in a very similar situation (see my blog). Docks, couch grass, nettles, thistles etc... but I'm sort of enjoying the pain and getting to know every last inch of the ground very intimately! I agree with other Grapes, dig and weed.
                            The law will hang the man or woman
                            Who steals the goose from off the common
                            But lets the greater thief go loose
                            Who steals the common from the goose
                            http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well done Eternal Sunshine! Your photos look FAB, and I really like the action shots! You look as proud as punch on your photo - and so you should! In no time at all you'll have it sorted. No doubt Sophie will be a great help to you.

Looking forward to popping down and seeing you again - and I'm sure all the other grapes are looking forward to seeing more photos!

Best wishes
                              Bernie aka Dexterdog
                              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X